Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 21 July 2023

Sunshine Hummers and other garden moths

 Running the garden 125w MV Robinson Trap provides almost unlimited possibilities for exploring the incredibly diverse variety of moth species which share the space with us. Size, shape and colouration is way beyond your imagination when first getting started with this fascinating group of insects. The harder you look, the more you will see and quickly realise that opportunity to push the boundaries of your knowledge and interest is only limited by the desire of the individual involved. For me, the journey into micro moths is a frustrating roller coaster ride, yet one that is incredibly enjoyable. 

I took this photo yesterday evening to show the Hedgehog fence
used to offer a level of protection to the moths drawn to the light.

Some of the family groups are really good fun to explore as each new species is able to provide another piece in the jig-saw which will allow you to unlock the code at some point. Pyralids, Tortrix's, Cranbids and Plume Moths certainly fall into this category. Case-bearers? Not a hope in hell! Rear them from larvae or kill them being the consensus amongst the mothing fraternity. 

Grey Knot-horn

Ash-bark Knot-horn

Pale Thistle Case-bearer?
It certainly looks like one given the images I've compared it with
on various websites, but that's not good enough apparently?

Just prior to turning on the trap, yesterday evening, I was watering the hanging baskets and containers out the front of the bungalow when I spotted a Humming-bird Hawk-moth nectaring on the Red Valerian. I quickly grabbed the camera and attempted to obtain some images in the rapidly darkening conditions. To be fair, the camera did all the work, I just pointed it at the moth and pressed the shutter button.

The best I could manage in the rapidly fading light

At around 10.30 hrs, this morning, whilst pottering about doing some dead-heading of the hanging basket Petunias, I spotted another Hummer feeding on the same patch of Red Valerian. By the time I'd grabbed the camera and returned there were three present. I set the shutter speed to 1/1600 th sec and rattled off a good number of shots whilst they remained. I was using the Sigma 170 - 500 mm lens, at full length, so not macro photography by any stretch of the imagination. 






I could make no attempt at estimating how many Humming-bird Hawk-moths have graced our garden over these past twenty-three years. It will certainly be hundreds, yet every time I see one it has the ability to make me smile. They are just fabulous little insects with so much character and energy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment