Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 6 July 2023

Scamping at another level

When, on Sunday, I wrote about "Old School Scamping" little did I know that things would turn out as they have. I was expecting to have to collect Harry from his after school football club, this afternoon, but Bev got a phone call, from Debbie, and suddenly a window opened and it seemed rude not to make the most of the opportunity. I'd been toying with this idea for a little while now. Knowing that a "big" Carp isn't in the equation, why not see how much fun can be derived by using tackle that wouldn't have been out of place in the 1950's?  I've used the, 1959, B. James & Son, Dick Walker Mk IV split cane down at the Carp puddle on many occasions, yet only for floater fishing. Today was to see me use it to fish bottom baits on a set-up which incorporated a Heron bite alarm and a Mitchell 300 reel.


My actual rig was a simple "blow-back" presentation, bait being flavoured chickpeas, a lead-free leader, with a running 1 1/2oz inline flat pear lead and all positioned using eight sections of the Nash "Bushwhacker" baiting pole system. A case of ancient meets modern, yet it was only bait placement that benefitted from the passing of time. Once a fish was hooked, it was "fun central" as all the kit involved in getting it to the landing net was proper old school.

I've got to admit to being very surprised by the sensitivity of the Heron bite alarm system. I used a copy of my Tring swing arm indicators and wasn't particularly confident that this combination would provide adequate audible warnings of a bite. It proved to be worry that was totally unfounded, the combination performed superbly. With the anti-reverse off, the Mitchell 300 was free to "churn away" should a bite be particularly savage. Within three hours, of arriving, I was packing away due to running out of bait (again!) having landed eight Carp and missing several other chances. Rig mechanics didn't enter the equation today, all I cared about was having fun and that was experienced in overdrive.

The best of the bunch was a scraper 11 lbs Common Carp which led me a merry dance before being drawn into the landing net. I used the AV setting on the Canon 70D, as opposed the auto option which I usually choose, for the self takes. Not too sure how much better, or worse, the resultant images are but am indebted to a Rob Burgess (Korda) youtube offering for the tip.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. BB, they're like peas in a pod, to be enjoyed and not, at any stage, to be taken seriously. Fun fishing in it's simplest form - tight lines - Dylan

      Delete