Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 25 February 2023

Waste food disposal - Dumpton style

"What's the best food to entice a Fox into your garden?" A question I've been asked several times since starting to blog about the wonderful experiences, enjoyed, watching/photographing these fabulous animals from my study doorway. Foxes are, despite their canine features, very much opportunist omnivores and will readily take advantage of any food supplied (Lettuce, Peas, Carrots & Tomatoes excepted!) If I was forced to stick to one item then Yorkshire Puddings would be it! I don't know either, it was only because of the fact that I'd thrown some (well out of date and suffering severe freezer burn) out onto the lawn, late afternoon, and the Herring Gulls hadn't taken advantage of the situation. I'd prepared the bowls for both Hedgehogs and Foxes and was looking from the study window as darkness fell. A Fox came into the garden and proceeded to hoover up all the Yorkshire Puddings completely ignoring the dinner left-overs which are normally on offer. Since that original encounter I've deliberately placed Yorkshire Pudding scraps around the garden and have watched Foxes seek these items in preference to the alternatives. I will add that they were "Tesco" own brand and there might be an ingredient in these items which isn't included in other similar products? Either which way, Tesco don't sponsor my blog and there are plenty of other Yorkshire Pudding manufacturers which Foxes will also enjoy.

Pasta, Fish Pie, Roast Chicken, Steak or a silly Chinese chuck-out, all the left-overs go into the bowl and the Foxes are free to make their choice. Whatever's left, at first light, is quickly devoured by the local Magpies, Herring Gulls and Feral Pigeons. Quite why I need to pay Thanet Council Tax for the provision of a food waste disposal service, when there is absolutely no requirement, isn't likely to be supported by other members of the local community. I live on The "Isle of Thanet" yet many of my neighbours despise the presence of Herring Gulls? I seem to think that the clue might be in our "Isle of Thanet" address? Still in February yet I've already photographed four different Hedgehogs at the feeding station this year. 

Garden wildlife, what's not to enjoy when the effort involved is almost zero?



2 comments:

  1. Try them with custard cream biscuits betcha they will take them in preference to Yorkshire puds any day !









    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The likelihood of there ever being a "waste" custard cream biscuit in our bungalow is absolutely zero. If the grand-kids don't scoff them, Bev certainly will! Cheers for the comment - Dylan

      Delete