Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 25 September 2019

Garden jewel

When we got back home, Sunday morning, one of my first jobs was to re-establish the garden feeding station. Whilst we were holidaying the feeders had been packed away along with the sunflower hearts and fat-balls. With no work until 14.00 hrs on Monday, supping my first coffee of the day, sat at my desk in the study, I became aware of a bird feeding on the larger sunflower heart feeder. Grabbing my bins allowed me to confirm the presence of a Greenfinch, the first of the autumn, absolutely brilliant! What a sorry state of affairs that such a sighting could arouse such emotion by appearing at the feeders.

A wonderful surprise to watch this bird at our feeding station
Less than a decade ago these birds were a "given", just like hedgehogs, yet now very much a garden rarity -  in 2019 I'll see more Mediterranean Gulls during the year over our bungalow.  This individual, however, looked to be very healthy with no signs of the "trichinosis" disease (swollen feet being the most obvious symptom) which has so decimated the UK Greenfinch population. Hopefully this is the start of a recovery for this species and they can, once again, return to the population levels of yesteryear?

2 comments:

  1. World's upside down it seems Dyl.
    Where I live, I see Greenfinches in all sorts of places. They are more numerous and widespread than House Sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy world indeed Ric. In 2019 it is not unusual to have 120+ House Sparrows around our garden and the feeders, yet when Bev and I moved here in 2000, Greenfinches and Sparrows were very much on a par with each other. Quite how the population dynamics have reached these extremes is one of the wonders that keep us looking at the natural world and having to admit that we actually know very little!
      Great to hear from you - hoping that you and Bronwyn are well? - Dyl

      Delete