Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 23 June 2014

The bash in Ash!

My daughter, Sarah-Jayne, had organised a late birthday, cum Father's Day, celebration at my Dad's house in Ash. Tim and Julie couldn't make it, but the rest of us were there, including Luke and Josh (Tim and Julie's kids - my nephews!). Emily tagged along with Bev and I - into the "Nerf Gun" war zone that was Dad's back garden. It was a fantastic afternoon, all the kids running wild, most of the adjoining gardens being showered with "Nerf" bullets as the hostilities raged. A cracking BBQ and a few "light ales" ensured that the time flew past and everyone enjoyed themselves.

Emily (looking like an angel) and Bryn during a lull in "Nerf War"

Emily won't thank me for this, when she gets a little older.
Acting the clown inside Dad's marquee, as we were getting set up in the morning
Dad has acquired (from Denmark! - the wonder of the Internet) a marquee - type, tent, thing, which Berne had erected in the garden. It was just the job and a fantastic insect trap to boot. I had my camera gear with me and secured a few reasonable images of a couple of "Crambid sp." moths which had found their way inside the structure. I was under instruction to get some photos of the kids, but hadn't expected a fly pass by The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight ( two Spitfires and the Lancaster) which came straight over the garden - Oh; how I wish I could claim some credit for this fantastic coincidence.
 
It wasn't so much the sight, but the sound of those four magnificent Rolls-Royce engines which
made the occassion so special.
Benno had come straight from fishing The River Stour, in Canterbury, Sye and Yve had travelled down from Aston Clinton, with the boys, Sarah, Berne, Bryn and Evelyn - from Goodnestone, Bev, Emily and I the short drive from Dumpton; plus "Whisky" Brian (who walked around the corner!) all assembled to belatedly celebrate my Dad's birthday. A fantastic afternoon in the superb sunshine of a June afternoon in Kent - Happy days!
 
Crambus silvella - a really stunning insect when seen up close

Chrysoteuchia culmella

Yet another Humming-bird Hawk in our front garden - just a different angle from the norm?

No comments:

Post a Comment