Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 20 November 2013

The natural world - an open book?

This post must come under the heading of "musings" - there being so very much, thought provoking, stuff circulating Blogland at present. Once again I find myself trying to come to terms with mind set of some of those "Bloggers" whose opinions I greatly value. My post title is purely for effect! Books; what use is a library to a guy who can't read? Yet, on the other hand, do all books require words to be of value?
A relatively common insect in Turkey (?) - I haven't got a scooby as to what it is!
A blue and black wasp - fascinating.
Inspirational teachers produce inspired pupils - in my lifetime I have been fortunate to come into contact with many such people. Within a birding context I can count John Hollyer, Dave Walker, Ray Turley, Tony Greenland, Jack & Phil Chantler, Andy Hamby and many, many, more - Kent is very well catered for where birding skills are required. Tony Harman and Andy Johnson helped fire my interest in moths and there are many other individuals who have played a part in my appreciation of the "bigger picture". However, none of this would be possible if I lacked the basic ability to look! In the same way that a book can only be read by someone who can read, the ability to get the benefit of confident identification is by being shown how to do it. This doesn't mean that simply seeing is without worth.
 
Clouded Yellow - a butterfly with which I am familiar.
I can't be over confident with my id, as there are many similar insects within the region.
I still enjoyed the encounter.
I have chosen my areas of interest, based purely upon the fact that my teachers were similarly enthused, the other aspects of our natural world are not lost, just don't play such a significant role - a bit like looking at a picture book - can't read but then I don't need to? If I'd gone to school and had Fred Dibner as a teacher, I am certain that engineering would have been my passion; Professor Brian Cox - then all of a sudden I'd have been inspired to look at the stars. I can only thank those teachers who ensured that my grasp of reading and writing meant that in my later years I could go to a library and find the information that "lights my candle"
 
My best guess is that it is a "Conehead Grasshopper" - it matters not a jot!
The pleasure came from the sighting; not being able to put a label on it.
My images, that accompany this offering, are from October 2012 whilst on holiday in Turkey. I hope that they convey all that I feel about my enjoyment of looking at our natural world?

Red-veined Darter - how dirty does the camera sensor need to get?

Back within my "comfort zone" - Even in Turkey juvenile Red-backed Shrikes
look like (Kent) juvenile Red-backed Shrikes

No comments:

Post a Comment