Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 3 August 2024

Snippets from Dumpton and beyond.

As stated in my previous offering, Bev's medical treatment is headed towards a conclusion, yet remains the top priority in our little world. So it shouldn't come as any surprise that all other interests, that I enjoy, are very much playing second fiddle during this period. All that said, Benno and I were joined by Mark, yesterday evening, as we continue our quest for a decent sized Eel from the RMC. Benno had the only action, with a modest Tench providing the bent rod. Mark and I had to content ourselves with listening to Daubenton's Bats on my Magenta 5 Bat Detector and discovering two Glow-worms in the vegetation along the canal bank. Stupidly, I made no effort to capture an image of these increasingly scarce insects, only to discover that there are now two species present in the UK and a photo would have provided an id.

Fortunately, I can rely on the moth trap to provide me with something to look at and, so far in August, I have been very happy to have recorded my first Poplar Hawk-moth of 2024 plus a couple of stunning examples of the burying beetle Nicrophorus interruptus. 

A magnificent looking beetle which I don't think I've ever seen before?
If I have had a previous encounter it certainly didn't create much of a stir.

I haven't done too much today, as Bev is recovering from the stresses of yesterday's hospital experience. Plenty to keep me occupied around the garden and it was around mid-day that I spotted the first juv Willow Warbler of the Autumn in the bushes at the bottom of the garden. Playing the hunch that it would visit the bird bath, for a wash and brush up, I grabbed the camera and waited quietly for events to unfold. Sure enough, after what seemed an eternity but was probably less than fifteen minutes, the bird dropped down onto the bath and spent a while splashing about. It would regularly fly up into the adjacent Buddleia to preen before returning to the water for another bout of bathing. 


August blogging could well prove to be very hit and miss, dependant upon how well Bev copes with the anxiety created by her medical treatment. Whilst sat on the canal, yesterday, Mark came up with an idea to show Benno and I some of the tweaks he uses whilst Carp fishing on "the dark side". Mark has an enviable tally of "30's" from the RMC and anything he's prepared to share with us is more than welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment