Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 8 August 2024

What the f**k?

Apologies for the post title, but I'm in need of some visitors to boost the daily stats and there's nothing like an expletive to aid the cause. So what's going on, you may ask? As is normal, at this time of year, I'd switched the moth trap off at 05.00 hrs and returned to the comfort of our bed for another four hours before thinking about examining the results of the previous night's captures. What I hadn't expected was to discover a small dragonfly sp. perched on a steel rod, right outside my study doorway, when I did finally decide to check the egg trays. Unless my info sources are completely erroneous, there was a Willow Emerald Damselfly posing beautifully in the morning sunshine, right outside my back door!


Under no circumstances do I expect my images to be worthy of comparison with those of Marc Heath (Mr Kent Dragonfly - and a very good mate) yet they are worthy of using on my blog?The moth trap produced very little of note, yet a Lesser Treble-bar was a nice addition to the garden year list.


I went down to Pegwell Bay NNR, to watch the incoming tide today, bumping into Rus Blackman in the process. We spent a very pleasant, yet uneventful, hour, or so.watching the rising tide Three Grey Plover, three Black-tailed Godwits, plus a few Dunlin and Whimbrel were as good as it got. Sandwich Terns and Mediterranean Gulls dominated the high tide roost along with the regular Black-headed Gulls, Curlews and Oystercatchers. The Garage Pool is now devoid of water, thus requires a very high tide to refill it and, as a result, is no longer attractive to the Little Egrets present in the area. No two days are the same, so I'm sure that there will be something worthy of note when I next visit this wonderful reserve. 

2 comments:

  1. An excellent record Dylan and just reward for all the observations you do. Nice to get a photo too. Small wins like this that make it all worthwhile. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Marc,
      I almost sent you an email, asking for confirmation but, instead just looked at one of your older posts containing all the id info I required. By the way, were your ears burning yesterday? Down at Pegwell, Rus and I were talking about you as he'd been over to Sandwich Obs to look at the Dainty Damselflies, so your name obviously cropped up in conversation.
      All the best and keep posting those magnificent photos - Dylan

      Delete