Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 5 August 2024

Another Pine Hawk-moth & some Pegwell birding

There is something completely beyond my comprehension currently occurring within the garden mothing caper. I've caught plenty of Pine Hawk-moths during my time operating a 125w MV Robinson Trap, however, the vast majority of them whilst on holidays in Brittany during the mid-1990's. Since Bev and I moved into our bungalow, in darkest Thanet, I've only managed three captures in twenty-four years! Well that was the case until I examined the egg trays on Sunday morning. Just fifteen days since the third garden record, there was another, absolutely pristine example of, Pine Hawk-moth for me to enjoy.

I have no idea what's going on with the population dynamics within the invertebrate ranks, yet have no doubts that all is not well within the bigger picture. It is blatantly obvious that something is awry purely because of the dramatic decline in Garden Tiger and Poplar Hawk-moths which are now being attracted to the MV trap. As an individual all I can do is look and be amazed by the ridiculous diversity of creatures which I encounter during my daily routine. For every species which has declined there will be others which have profited from the same situation. Jersey Tiger and Box-tree Moth are two which immediately spring to mind, yet Tree-lichen Beauty and umpteen, previously un-recorded, micros are also symptomatic of the ecological changes which are taking place.

At around 22.30 hrs, on Saturday night, there was a huge movement of, very vocal, Sandwich Terns over Newlands Farm. Obviously triggered by the high tide, these birds were taking a short cut over Thanet, headed for the roost in Pegwell Bay?  Having taken a quick look at the SBBOT website, to check out what they were reporting, I decided that I'd take a look for myself. With high tide at 13.15 hrs (or there abouts) I was on site with a few minutes to spare before the tide reached its' peak. Scope, binos and the long lens for company, I had a very pleasurable couple of hours at this wonderful reserve, just happy to look at anything willing to perform for my optics. Little Egret numbers were down on my previous visit, yet there were still around forty individuals present around the Garage Pool and adjacent salt marsh. Sandwich Tern numbers were off the scale! I counted approx. 300 birds to be visible on the banks of The Stour and Shellness Point, then something spooked another massive flock from beyond the ridge of Shellness which was probably bigger than the one visible from where I was stood? Mediterranean Gulls were also very numerous, in excess of one hundred and fifty birds roosting on the salt marsh. 


I only had until 15.00 hrs at my disposal, so wasn't able to watch the falling tide for too long. A few Whimbrel, Dunlin, Redshank and Oystercatchers had started to move about the bay as I headed back towards the van. Another check of The Garage Pool revealed the presence of two juv Little Ringed Plovers and a very interesting, and incredibly small, Herring Gull. I spotted it amidst a gaggle of Black-headed Gulls and, such was it's diminutive size, thought I was looking at a 2nd cy Common Gull. It was only by looking through the scope that I picked up on the obvious red spot on the lower mandible. I will leave the racial id to those "laridophiles" who are far more knowledgable than I. It was still a very cool bird to set eyes upon.

It was tiny!

Angling time is, very much, at a premium at present. I do have a couple of windows available, but everything will depend upon Bev's physical health and anxiety levels before any plans can be made.So I will finish with a coupe of images of the LRP's. I can't be certain, yet feel these two individuals might just be Thanet "ticks" for me?



 


No comments:

Post a Comment