Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 17 August 2024

A new venue and garden jewellery

 On Thursday, after much chat with Benno, I finally decided to renew my C&DAA membership for 2024/25. With many external factors coming into play, we needed a venue where we could go Eel fishing without the hassle of two hours plus driving time being involved. So Stonar Lake will be where we will be focusing our attention until Pike season comes into the equation. Don't get me wrong, Stonar is a completely new venue for me and, although there are rumours of big Eels, we have never seen any evidence to suggest that it will be easy to target these enigmatic fish. However, before I get onto my first visit to the fishery, on Thursday afternoon I did manage to grab a split cane, an ABU Cardinal 44X and a loaf of wholemeal bread and head down to Minster for a very short, ninety minute, session after the Carp. I landed five fish, missing many, many more, in the time available, the best being a very fiesty Mirror of 13 lbs 9 oz. I would love to share a photo but a schoolboy error meant that I didn't have the autofocus switched on and my self-takes were a blurred mess as a result. Lesson learned and a good job that it wasn't a fish of more merit?

No need for a barrow or any moaning about stresses on my
arthritic joints. Parking is ridiculously close for every swim on
this venue.

So onto Friday's efforts and my first visit to Stonar Lake, as an angler - I used to visit regularly during my time birding, and I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by set-up of this fishery. Access is first class, yet swims are very secluded and allow scope for the occupants to do their own thing without impacting on those in adjacent positions. For Benno and I it is a completely blank canvas and we are looking forward to the challenge of getting the pieces of the puzzle to fit into place. We fished from 18.00 - 23.00 hrs, last night, and didn't manage to tempt anything with our offerings, although I did land a small Bream on a raw prawn thus avoiding the dreaded blank?

Benno sat in our swim, the view looking south towards Sandwich 

The view, from my position, looking north towards The Discovery Park

As the sun goes down

The moth trap has obviously been central to my enjoyment of the local wildlife encounters so far this year, yet the feeding stations, be they for avian or nocturnal mammalian visitors, also provide plenty for me to get excited about.  The one aspect of offering food has to be the importance of also having a supply of water available to the various garden visitors.and today provided further evidence of this with the appearance of a Pied Flycatcher at the bird bath.


Thankfully the bird hung around for an hour, or so, allowing me to grab a few images which are worthy of sharing. 


8 comments:

  1. and quite clear who owns the van, Dyl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As my old Nan used to say "if you've got it - flaunt it!"

      Delete
  2. Hello Dylan- Great to see you taking on wild Stonar, mate. What an exciting challenge. That lake is of big interest to me- but I've never been able to fit it in...

    I've always had my ears open for stories about it. Stonar was originally a hamlet that existed there, years ago. Later, near the end of its quarrying days, the diggers disturbed an ancient graveyard under what is now the lakebed.

    With the tidal Stour so close, it would seem ideal for big eels- but I've never heard anything about them- I'm sure you'd agree that makes it all the more exciting... All the best, mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gazza,
      Yes mate, exciting prospect indeed. I'd always written it off because of the number of Carp anglers who frequent the venue but, now having actually been there, I'm very happy to discover how secluded the swims are and the ridiculous depth variations within metres of the bank. Benno is just as interested in the Rudd, as he is in the Eels. I am happy to bend a rod at the moment so will be as flexible as required whilst attempting to get a feel for the place.
      Just to demonstrate what a crazy fishery it really is, a Mullet of eight and a half pounds was caught by one of the Carp lads on a 15mm wafter. Now there can't be too many fisheries in the UK where that could happen?
      Take care & tight lines - Dyl

      Delete
  3. Hi Dyl

    Done a stint down there many many moons ago for the Snigs. I came up with the bright idea of using ultra sensitive, eco-friendly indicators made from parboiled spaghetti. In the dead of night, I couldn't understand why I was constantly striking into thin air following repeated ultrafast runs?... Turned out that the local rat population also found them to their liking!… lol

    Looking forward to some tales from the deep

    Tight line brother!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy,

      Not overly confident of encountering anything of note during the run up to Pike season. However, there is plenty of scope for learning and experimentation, so it won't be time wasted. The modern thinking surrounding Eel fishing is, very much, focussed around lip hooking these fish and heavy leads, short hook links and striking at any movement of the bobbin/indicator of choice.

      Whatever the outcome, we'll have plenty of time to discuss these slimy critters once the Ethelbert, once again, becomes the venue for our monthly PAC gatherings.

      Hoping all is well with you and yours? Tight lines

      Dyl

      Delete
  4. Hi Dyl, Benno is right about the Rudd (and roach) there are some stunners in there, albeit my biggest eel has only been just under 3pounds. I have heard of bigger though, Enjoy.....Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,
      Thanks for the encouragement. Just a quick question - was your Eel caught deliberately or by accident? Those "big Eel" stories, we have heard about, are from Carp anglers who have taken them on boilies!
      All the best & tight lines - Dyl

      Delete