Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 29 August 2024

Over the line

 After almost nine months of anxiety, Bev has completed her final radiotherapy session of her breast cancer treatment. Some of the side effects might take a couple of weeks to subside before she gets back into some form of routine, eat and sleep wise, although the Macmillan nurse reassured us that this was completely normal for patients undergoing this procedure. We left the hospital in possession of  a prescription for medication which will assist the recovery process, so everything seems to be headed in the right direction.  

Juvenile Honey Buzzard photographed last September on Corfu.
The very old Sigma 170 - 500 mm lens wasn't up to the task hence, I am hoping the 
new Canon kit will produce much improved images?

We're now hopeful that, within the next three weeks, we'll be headed to Corfu for a long awaited holiday. Because of what I'd experienced last autumn, whilst at this same location, I've been doing a bit of research, via the wonders of "Google", looking at the pros & cons of purchasing a 1.4X teleconverter for use with my 100 - 400 mm IS lens. I have to say that the majority of what I've seen and heard has been very positive about the combination. It would seem that a visit to Park Cameras, in Burgess Hill, is likely to happen in the not too distant future? Humming-bird Hawk-moth and Honey Buzzard have avoided my gaze, thus far in 2024, yet I'm hopeful that this will be rectified during our time on this stunning Greek island?

It seems ridiculous that I've not set eyes upon a "Hummer"
thus far in 2024. Sadly, I am not alone, many Kent "moffas" are in
a similar position.

Because of what's been going on in our little world, blogging has taken a back seat of late. I did manage to grab a couple of hours, down at the local club water, yesterday, where I enjoyed myself landing seven, or eight, small Carp using the split cane Mk IV and ABU Cardinal 44X combo. The garden moth trap continues to provide my daily source of  head scratching, as I struggle to get to grips with the id's of many of the micro visitors to the egg trays. My inabilities detract not one iota from the enjoyment of looking at (and pointing the macro lens towards) these fascinating creatures. 


Pale Maple Slender - Caloptilia honoratelia
I'll never know for certain as gen. det. is required for a positive id.
Thankfully this individual flew off after I'd taken five images

Nettle Tap - not a regular garden visitor. I caught this one, in a pot, during an afternoon
gardening session.

Having been through Bev's medical saga, it quickly becomes clear how totally unimportant getting a moth id, or targetting specimen fish, really is within the bigger picture of simply enjoying life's journey?

Scarce (aka Tufted) Oak Knot-horn (Acrobasis tumidana)
A very smart visitor to the egg  trays

The second Golden Twin-spot this week - a stunner!


No comments:

Post a Comment