Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 19 November 2023

One step at a time

 Gradually Bev and I are adapting to the situation created by her broken wrist. As time passes, the swelling has started to go down and a regular intake of Ibuprofen seems to combat the pain rather effectively. The hospital have been in contact and we're due back to the fracture clinic, on 4th Dec, for a replacement cast and an assessment of the healing process. So until then, my excursions to the waterside will be erratic, at best, and very short sessions. In this respect I am very fortunate to have the club "Carp Puddle" just five miles away. I can almost guarantee a bite, or two, and still be able to get home quickly if an emergency were to arise. 

With the camera set on auto I got a fill-in flash due to the shaded swim
I was occupying. 

It is a lovely, quiet, venue at this time of year which I often have completely to myself. The surrounding fields are currently flooded and are home to large numbers of gulls, Curlew, Redshank, Lapwing and Golden Plovers. Common Buzzards are resident in the area and the Great Crested Grebes, on the fishery, are still raising a brood of three very late youngsters. Two sessions down there, since Bev's accident, have produced three Carp in under five and a half hours fishing time. Best one going 9 lbs 8 oz - I must try harder if I'm going to complete my challenge.

A lovely watery sun-set and it's only 15.50hrs

Meanwhile, back at home, the moth trap has been packed away for the Winter. The garden planters are in a very sorry state with only the odd Begonia hanging on to their flowers. Storm damage and natural decay has certainly taken it's toll. Hedgehogs are still visiting the feeding station every night, with at least three regulars. Foxes are also very active around Newlands at present. The high pitched, tri-syllabic, barking of the males it audible most evenings as darkness falls. I've seen two different individuals in the garden, neither of which hung around for a photo session. I've been using my LED lighting system to watch the food bowls and on a couple of occasions I've note single Rusty-dot Pearls flying around the light.

This small Hedgehog is usually the first to arrive at the feeding bowl. I'm
fairly sure it lives under my neighbour's shed?

So that's the current state of play in deepest Dumpton. The Pike gear is ready, and waiting, but will remain inactive until Bev is confident that she can get herself washed, and dressed, in the morning without further aggravating her injured wrist.


2 comments:

  1. Dyl, I've been getting the full role call of mammals to the garden. Apart from the squirrels, the Hedgehogs have returned after more than a decade away, one of which has taken up residence in a Hedgehog Hotel which I bought online. The fox pack is a regular eight! And in the early hours when I take out the bucket of nosh? They run towards me from all sides. And lately a huge Badger. Hadn't seen one for over a year. I could mention rats and mice but they appear to be somewhat scarce around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the exception of Brown Rats, all mammals are welcome in our garden space. Grey Squirrels are still, very much, a novelty although quite numerous in the mature trees around the local parks, along the railway embankment and in Ramsgate Cemetery. Obviously Hedgehogs and Foxes are the mainstay of what I encounter, yet Wood and Yellow-necked Mice are regularly encountered along the hedgerow at the bottom of the garden. As for Badgers, I've got more chance of a Beaver or Common Seal turning up! Then of course there are the bats, which I am convinced are under recorded purely due to their nocturnal habits. All the best - Dyl

      Delete