Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 6 November 2022

Raining again

"Be careful what you wish for" is a sentiment which often crops up whenever there is a situation that isn't as you'd like. All summer long, whilst I was pretending to be on a Barbel mission, the ridiculous drought conditions ensured that the river was in a right mess, with low water levels and excessive weed growth. The advent of the Pike season was delayed by a C&DAA ruling, with which I had no issue, and was perfectly content to bide my time. Now Pike fishing is allowed the weather gods have decided to get involved. There is no denying that East Kent is in dire need of rainfall but, all in one week, really? The weather forecasts remain doom laden for the next few days and, as I'm not seeking an endurance examination, will await the time when I can visit the bankside without getting a soaking. 

Rock Pipit in the outer harbour

Not having any desire to cast a baited hook during the weekend period, I've pottered around in the garden and had a wander around Ramsgate Harbour but, for the most part, have found myself sat in my study watching the rain falling from leaden grey skies. It was around half time in the Spurs v's Liverpool game, today, when Bev asked if I'd seen the rainbows? Her daughter, Debbie, had sent her some i-phone images that she'd just taken. We went outside to see the rainbows and, almost immediately, spotted a female Sparrowhawk perched on a t/v aerial opposite. I ran back indoors thinking that the bird would be gone, but no, it was still there when I returned, attempting to dry its' feathers and I managed to grab a series of images of this very unusual behaviour.





I will get back out with the Pike rods but, as yet, have no idea when.

3 comments:

  1. Nice sparrowhawk pic. Although we had a shed load of rain here in north Essex-Suffolk it's not really had much effect yet unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Newlands Farm footpaths are muddy, the cauliflowers look in good nick and our lawn has regained its' colour but, until I get down to The Stour, have no idea what effect the rain has had upon the angling situation. That Sparrowhawk was very weird, although I'm certainly not complaining. Hoping all is well and the fishing is going to plan? Tight lines - Dylan

      Delete
    2. Trying to earn a bit of money at the moment after six months of travelling and fishing in the camper.
      Ill start on the river properly after all the muck has been flushed out.
      Cheers.

      Delete