Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 19 November 2022

Blanker

 It was 05.00 hrs, Friday morning, when I got out of bed to embark upon my latest Pike fishing session. The weather has wreaked absolute havoc on my plans for the River Stour project, continued heavy rainfall rendering it unfishable. My venue choices, therefore, has been severely restricted because of the conditions and I ended up driving across to the flatlands where the drains have provided some decent sport in the past. It wasn't to be repeated on Friday as the water was the colour of strong "builder's tea" and my only bite came from a small "jack" which threw my bait as I attempted to set the hooks.

Winter thrushes were present around the adjacent farmland in reasonable numbers and I counted (sort of) 1,120 Woodpigeons moving WNW during the first hour of daylight. It was nice to catch up with my mate, Neil D, out on the marsh and we had a long chat about the local (and not so local) birding. The weather forecasters aren't particularly reassuring with their predictions of a month's rainfall over the next week or so. Could be that my Pike fishing project will follow the same pattern as the Barbel caper which preceded it?

The week had started well enough with the first Canterbury/Thanet PAC regional gathering of the new season and was a very enjoyable event. Plenty of banter, as is to be expected, amongst some more serious stuff. Our R/O, Nick, asked if anyone would like to write an article for the club magazine? With nothing better to occupy my time, I've decided to pick up the gauntlet and see what happens. So far it seems to progressing in a positive fashion, although I'll await Nick's approval before submitting the offering. So there you have it. No fishing, very few birds, the moth trap stowed away for the winter and weather forecasts which spread doom and gloom. Things will improve, they have to, but I'm not holding my breath!

2 comments:

  1. Fag end of the year isn't it ? Rivers here only just getting a proper flush out. Things should improve after that hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proper grim here in East Kent. The Stour is a raging torrent, the flatland drains a filthy, weed filled horror show and the RMC very similar. The long range weather forecasts offer very little hope of any improvement this side of Christmas!!! Always look on the bright side, eh? Cheers for taking time to comment - Dylan

      Delete