Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 9 May 2022

Struggling

My blogging, of late, has been non-existent due to a complete lack of enthusiasm. Not too sure if it's a result of not having cast a line, in the past four weeks, or something else? My life is still very enjoyable, there's been plenty to look at in/around the garden and further afield. Just can't be arsed to write about it! What is rather worrying is the fact that many of my fellow bloggers, who orbit the same space in "Blogland", also appear to be suffering a similar lack of output. Maybe the platform has exhausted it's usefulness and it's now time to move on? I'm struggling to attract thirty visitors/day at present - surely the random nature of the internet would yield more attention if the platform had any worth?

Maybe I'm on a downer and there's a return to normal service just around the corner?  The only way I'll ever learn the outcome is to carry on carrying on! A couple of outstanding encounters have taken place in the recent past. First was when a female (type - it was green) Common Crossbill alighted, very briefly, in the top of our garden Buddleia. Long enough to grab the bins, yet off, calling loudly, over the bungalow before I could point the camera. A garden first, although I've recorded quite a few over Newlands during periods of "eruptive movements" which are so characteristic of the species. The other sighting is that of a Dewick's Plusia which turned up in the 125w MV moth trap on Saturday night. 

The first hawkmoths of the year have been trapped with both Lime & Eyed turning up on the egg boxes during the past week. My friendly Fox continues to visit the feeding station every night although, having chatted with a few other folk, I'm no longer attempting to encourage it to become hand fed. As much as it'd be great, the welfare of the individual might be compromised if it lost all fear of human contact. Still great to be able to spend time with such a magnificent wild animal whilst stood in my study doorway.


6 comments:

  1. I sympathise with your lack of blogging enthusiasm, Dyl. Been there a few times. 😄
    I do enjoy reviewing old posts from time to time (like reading an old diary) so I'll keep churning them out for a while yet.

    All the best. 😊 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for this Gav. It's quite likely a direct result of the euphoria, associated with the preceding Pike campaign, being now replaced by virtually nothing? Spring migration has been conspicuous by it's absence here on Thanet (Newlands Farm in particular!), the constant procession of cold N/NE winds have also ensured the moth trap remained empty whilst the "traditional" close season means that The Kentish Stour and it's surrounding catchment drains are off limits until 16th June. I've absolutely no intention of packing in the blogging, but am certainly going through a barren period at present.
      Hoping all is well with you and the family and please say "hello from me" to Tom B & Pete Forrest when you next meet up with your birding gang.
      Stay safe - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Dyl, I note how Jim Gibbinson used to fish the Medway for Mullet. Now there's a project worth taking on. Yes, I know that's a kind of sea fishing, but with a high degree of finesse involved. Naturally the tides tend to limit the time on the bank. That's what I'd be doing. Meanwhile, keep blogging old friend and best wishes to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to recall that Jim was also part of the eccentric, yet talented, gang who went by the name of The Rother Mulleteers? I have made a few, very feeble, attempts after the Mullet in the tidal Stour. Obviously, it hasn't been successful, although I did loose a fish in the river behind the Pfizer complex many moons ago.
      My focus, once June arrives, lies with the Barbel in this wonderful river although I certainly won't ignore the Chub which also frequent the same stretch. Many thanks for taking the time to comment - Dylan

      Delete
  3. Blogging seems to have become dated and has fell by the wayside these days, being overtaken by Facebook, Whatsapp, Ticktok etc, for a lot of people. I enjoyed blogging for several years but inevitably found it harder to come up with anything new or interesting and gradually the gaps between postings became longer and I can't really see me returning to it anytime soon, although I'm not involved with the other examples either. I imagine that your blogs concerning your angling expeditions must appeal to fellow anglers and indeed give them an interesting outlook on the sport but many other blogs these days seem to be the preserve of lonely older people who simply detail their daily and boring lives as a way of communicating with other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derek, I'm sure you're right with your appraisal of the current state of blogging within the cyber world. I certainly view it as a platform that appeals to those, of us, who've seen five, or more, decades upon this planet. It demands a level of education, via the written word, that modern versions of the web completely ignore? "Here's a picture of my breakfast!" - WHAT IS THAT ABOUT?
      I've no intention of stopping blogging but, as you say, the passing of time does make it increasingly difficult to find anything interesting/worthy of posting.
      Many thanks for taking time to comment - all the best - Dylan

      Delete