Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 14 August 2021

Garden birding

The rod has remained untroubled. My baited rig presentation and mechanics still causing me much anguish as I struggle with the problems posed by the ridiculous weed growth in my chosen venue. Lessons have been learned, but still no further fish (Carp or otherwise) have been fooled by the various tweaks I've, so far, employed. The mainstay of my interaction with the natural world has been the continued sky watching from the back garden. That movement of Common Swifts, on the 10th, has really excited me as I now recognise the potential of my retirement situation and an ability to "make hay" whilst the sun shines! The one thing that I must emphasise is that, if I'd not been using my binoculars and/or scope, I wouldn't have recorded 1% of the birds I have. What follows are my diary notes whilst stood in the back garden.

11th August 2021 - 08.15 - 12.00 hrs

Common Swift - 1, 6, 2, 1, 5, 1, 4, 7, 3, 3, 2, 12 = 47 all moving W - SW

Swallow - 6

Sparrowhawk - 2 

12th August 2021 - 15.45 - 17.45 hrs

Common Swift - 6, 15, 2, 11, 2, 18, 3, 2, 6, 27, 1, 3, 2 = 98 W - SW

Mediterranean Gull - 3 adults spotted feeding on flying ants amidst huge flocks of mixed gulls.

Common Buzzard - 3 south between 16.33 - 16.56 hrs

Back out later I managed these additional sightings

Common Swift - 2 south @ 18.10 hrs, 9 west @ 18.15 hrs & 14 east @ 18 28 hrs

Rook - 1 north @ 18.35 hrs

BWKm0 - No. 65 - Mediterranean Gull - get in!

13th August 2021 - 07.45 - 11.15 hrs

Common Swift - 15, 4, 3, 1, 2, 3, 5, 4, 3, 6, 1, 3, 2, 5, 1, 5,1, 9,5,20,2, 6 = 106

Common Buzzard - juvenile from roost @ 08.10 hrs

14th August 2021 - 08.00  - 11.15 hrs

Common Buzzard - 1 south @ 09.30 hrs

Sparrowhawk - 4 north @ 10.05 hrs, 1 east (local bird?) 10.25 hrs

Common Swift - 3 north @ 10.27 hrs, 5 east @ 10.36 hrs

Swallow - 2 west @ 11.05 hrs

It's not been all about sky watching, the feeding station continues to provide much interest and I've enjoyed pointing the long lens at the regular garden visitors whilst awaiting the next pulse of migrants. 


House Sparrows have enjoyed a superb breeding season, locally, with
flocks of 50+ regularly visiting the feeders.

There are very encouraging signs of recovery for the local Greenfinch population, with a maximum of five birds being seen at the feeders during the day. Goldfinches and Chaffinches have also been regular visitors, whilst the odd Blackcap and Willow Warbler sightings provide confirmation of the impending change of seasons. 


Welcome back!

Birds I take for granted, yet no less worthy of mention, will now consciously be counted  because of the increased numbers recorded from my tiny position. Wood Pigeons and Black-headed Gulls are certainly building in numbers, whilst Collared Doves and Rose-ringed Parakeets also occur in numbers worthy of note. 



I've got a rather ambitious post in the offing, hence the lack of recent offerings. Hopefully I'll get this project completed, very soon, and then return to regular posting?


2 comments:

  1. My own garden Dyl, doesn't have the variety that yours does, but I feel that being woken up by Tawny Owls is a kind of privilege.
    I'll look forward to reading the ambitious post. Bound to be compulsive fare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tawny Owls are very rarely encountered around this part of Thanet, although they are resident in parklands away to the west of Dumpton. As for my ambitious blog post. All I can say is that I hope it doesn't disappoint, particularly following the quality of recent efforts by Steve Gale & Gavin. Work of this standard has certainly raised the bar, somewhat, but also provides incentive to push the boundaries of my own blogging style. Take care - Dyl

      Delete