Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 12 May 2024

Out and about

 As I'd mentioned, in an earlier post, the desire to learn more about what my camera kit is capable of has ensured that I've attempted to get outside whenever the opportunity presents itself. Serious birding isn't what it's about, I just want to discover what image quality can be obtained by utilizing some of the tips, tricks and handy hints, that are provided by YouTube offerings. I am still keeping a year list, despite knowing that it will struggle to pass 150 if Bev and I are unable to go abroad for a holiday this year. 

Still I am very happy, about this situation, because my angling targets are of much higher priority at this point in time. On Saturday morning I took a drive across to the flatlands to have a look at a couple of drains where I am planning to spend time in pursuit of Tench. So it was a very simple decision to continue my morning's wanderings by taking a look at the RSPB Worth Marshes Res. I probably messed up an in flight sighting of Purple Heron, but due to the angle of the sun and extreme distance involved, couldn't be 100% confident with my id. A couple of Hobby were the only addition to my list, but Grey Plover (7), Little Egret (5), Ringed Plover (40+), a Whimbrel plus umpteen Lapwing, Avocet and assorted wildfowl made it a very pleasant excursion.

This morning saw me take a stroll out on Minster Marshes. This is possibly the first visit for nearly ten years? All I can say is that things have certainly changed a lot and, as with Stonelees LNR, the presence of Nightingale and Turtle Dove is nothing but a memory within the sewage farm complex. I took a stroll along the bank of The Stour, towards the site of the old Richborough Power Station and was very impressed by the habitat which has been allowed to develop within the flood plain. It was, however, across the river, out on the Ash Levels that the most interesting birds were seen. Three Cattle Egrets were feeding alongside a herd of "Red Poll (?)" cattle along with a few Yellow Wagtails which were another year tick for me. Then it just got a bit surreal as I spotted a Common Crane flying along the distant power lines, headed toward the old Pfizer site and then heading north towards Pegwell Bay. It was so far away as to be impossible to get an image, yet the binos were perfectly capable of allowing me to be confident of this identification.

A pair of Ravens have taken up residence in the old Peregrine nest box and a female Marsh Harrier was watched hunting over the Minster Marshes as I started to make my way back towards the van. Then to give me one final chance to point the camera, an adult Grey Heron flew past me, in the superb light, so I couldn't help myself - point and press!!!

Garden mothing has been an absolute struggle. I don't think that I've managed double figures on more than three nights since deciding to switch it on. Surely things will only get better as overnight temps start to improve as May heads towards June?

Toadflax Brocade

A Cranbid sp. - Common Grey being my best guess!

4 comments:

  1. The cattle Dyl? Could be Devon Reds. There's a dozen of them on a local nature reserve near where I live. They like apples.
    Hopefully you and Bev can get to the Islands in the Med. Improved images of wildlife will be a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, farm yard cattle id isn't ever going to play a part in my outdoor experiences, so those out on the Ash Levels might as well be Friesians in drag for all I care? As for holiday adventures? Our plan is to use "end of the tunnel" mentality as a focus for what we want to do once this medical challenge has been overcome. Plenty of positives about image quality, so certainly a bonus if we are able to get abroad. - Dyl

      Delete
  2. I think the grey moth might be Alucita hexadactyla - Many-plumed Moth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, I'm happy for any assistance I can get with these tricky little critters!

      Delete