Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 1 May 2024

New toys = play time

Smashing my original EOS 70d isn't something I'm particularly proud about yet, out of this disaster has come a renewed desire to push my ability to use a camera  to a new level. YouTube has been an amazing source of learning, although not every offering is particularly helpful due to brand loyalty and/or photographic subject matter? Once this barrier is recognised and overcome, you then need to bypass those folk who think that magazine covers are the only reason to own a camera and cherry pick those tips which best suit your needs from the hoards of offerings produced by ordinary camera owners. Whilst I certainly agree that my kit isn't cutting edge, up to date, camera technology it is certainly more than capable of  the image quality I require for my blogging. Adequate is my assessment of what I am currently capturing with my Canon EOS 70d &  EF 100 - 400 mm IS Mk1 lens combo. To then be able to add an image stabilized 18 - 55 mm lens to the armoury now means that even my angling images should step up a notch, or two? April proved to be quite a testing month, for obvious reasons, but I am now hopeful that my blogging output will return to a more normal (?) level. Because of Bev's ongoing medical treatment, there will be no Mediterranean holiday birding adventures this Spring. Instead, I am hoping to get out around the local countryside in search of subjects willing to pose for the long lens. So, to get May up and running I would like to share a number of images which have been captured over this past couple of weeks yet, didn't get used because of circumstances beyond my control.



Feeding the local gulls, although not going down well with some of my neighbours, is always likely to provide an opportunity to practice flight shots. Using aperture priority, over the manual setting, has been a quite surprising twist.


Little Egret in Pegwell Bay NNR and a Blackbird in my back garden. With digital technology the point and press option is a no brainer. If the results are rubbish, it doesn't matter, but the camera is far better at making it work than I am.




Fishing at Sandwich Coarse Fishery, this morning, allowed me to grab theses images which brightened up a very dull session. And to end this rambling nonsense I offer an image taken from the back garden, using the newly acquired 18 - 55 mm IS lens. Photography will never be my hobby but, there is no doubting the role that, capturing, a decent image has in enhancing my enjoyment of time spent outside.


2 comments:

  1. Dyl, what would have Eric Hosking made of your latest offerings? Well, I read his autobiography when it was first published and can assure you, that had your latest images appeared when he was en route to owning the Rolls Royce. That monumental ego of his, that I noticed even then, would have taken a mortal hit.
    Talking of mortal hits. Was it possible to have the old Cannon body repaired?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ric,
      Got to admit that I know very little about Eric Hosking as a man, just aware that he was at the forefront of bird photography during the years when SLR's and film technology were still in their infancy. Quite obviously the advent of digital image capture and the subsequent advances in this technology, plus being widely available to ordinary folk, has ensured the quality of photos obtained are now of an incredibly high standard.
      That damaged EOS 70d was certainly repairable but, at a cost which meant it was cheaper just to replace it with another pre-owned item.
      As always, cheers for the comment. Take care - Dyl

      Delete