Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 2 May 2024

At a tangent

The phrase "you can't please all of the people, all of the time" has certainly resonated around in my little world, of late. Nothing too terrible but, having been looking at various YouTube offerings in my quest for photography tips and tricks, I've encountered some very weird opinions about human interaction with our native wildlife. As with any subject, there will always be two sides of the story when individuals express opinions. I have absolutely no issues with the folk who see things differently from me, but do hope it's based upon experience not ingrained prejudice. It all kicked off when watching a piece about photographing urban Foxes. I have no idea what site was involved, although Bristol does seem to ring a bell. Where ever it was, the site was a cemetery where Foxes had become so used to humans offering food that they were incredibly active during the daylight hours and showed no signs of alarm when in close human proximity. 

It would be quite interesting to meet someone who thinks this type of photographic
opportunity doesn't count. Not ten feet from my study doorway - I'll take that every day.

The outcome of this particular Vlog offering was some stunning images, and video, of wild animals, in their natural habitat, strutting their stuff. The guy then went on to say that many "wildlife" photographers don't think these situation count because they are artificial? Each to their own but, really? These animals were displaying a behavioural trait which has allowed them to exploit a situation, to their benefit, whilst also providing a wonderful spectacle which is available to anyone who wishes to take a look. And it is this aspect of this interaction which I feel is far more important than any negative stuff being spouted by the opponents of such situations. 


Artificial photographic situations?
Are they saying "don't feed the birds" or just you can't photograph them?

I wrote something similar way back in the mists of time, but my thoughts remain as they've always been. If you're passionate about a subject (in this case wildlife, but not mandatory) then you should, via your enthusiasm, attempt to inspire others to get involved. I can fine tune this a bit, get the next generations to become enthused and involved with the subject so that those bloody X-boxes & i-phones become redundant! My passion for the outdoors and the wildlife which shares the space is as strong now as it's always been. To be able to take Harry (my grandson) fishing, show his sister, Emily, a Hawk-moth and let her hold it, is an absolute privilege. Being able to share the mothing experience with my neighbours is always fun and introducing them to Fox and Hedgehog feeding stations has produced an even stronger neighbourhood feeling. 

I really enjoy watching these animals around the feeding station. Again, am I wrong
for pointing a camera at them to record my encounters?

The RSPB Garden Birdwatch allowed me to spend time with my step-daughter as we counted the visitors to the garden feeding station. There have been occasions when, whilst out on the bank, I've been able to share the excitement of listening to bats, via the use of my Magenta 5 Bat Detector, with fellow anglers. It doesn't really matter how you share the passion for your subject if you are able to inspire others to take an interest. If stumbling across an urban Fox, in a city cemetery, is what ignites the spark for another kid, then I am all for people feeding them. 

2 comments:

  1. Dyl, we do whatever we can to get the wider audience engaged and appreciative of the natural world around us. It's an educational must, since the greatest danger to wildlife from people is ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, I'm not too sure that this post actually says what I'd hoped it would? My aim was to state that belittling a wildlife encounter by describing it as "artificial" isn't likely to inspire others to get involved. Of course this opinion is perfectly acceptable, from an individual perspective, but shouldn't be allowed to deter others from enjoying these type of experiences with wild creatures.

      Delete