Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 10 October 2023

The Honey Buzzard Show

I seem to recall that it was some time back in the late 1980's when I, along with a couple of mates, drove from Hertfordshire to Norfolk (Swanton Novers or Thetford Forest) where I was to see my first, ever, Honey Buzzards. Since that initial encounter, I have been extraordinarily fortunate to have watched these magnificent raptors on many occasions, in several different countries. Indeed I have four garden records, since moving to Thanet, as well as discovering a pair, holding territory, relatively close by. All that said, absolutely nothing I'd experienced previously comes remotely close to what I was to witness during our latest  Corfu holiday. 

Tuesday 26th September saw me make the long trek up to,  and beyond, the Greek Flag which sits proudly on the skyline, high above Agios Gordios. It takes around an hour to reach this landmark by which time you have risen over 1,000ft above sea level. This was to be the only day we experienced any bad weather, and it was very overcast with occasional thunder, lightning and associated heavy showers. Not the best decision to be wandering around in a tee-shirt, yet once up there I had to make the best of it. Around 11.00 hrs I spotted a couple of large raptors flying in and, through my binos, quickly established that they were Honey Buzzards. Quite distant, in dodgy light, I rattled of a few shots hoping that I'd get something for the blog. Nothing better than record shots, yet the second bird was a nice pale individual and I was happy enough with what I could see on the back of the camera.

Wednesday 27th September and it all kicked off. I'd decided that my fitness wasn't up to a return to the high ground so, instead, opted to take the lower route across towards Pentati Beach. A much brighter morning which ensured that the dappled light within the Olive Groves and woodland played havoc with my limited camera skills as I tried to get images of the odd flycatcher or warbler. Again, it was around 11.00 hrs when I spotted a group of eight Honey Buzzards leisurely circling towards my position, gaining height as they did so. Distance was a problem, but with much better light, I managed to get a few shots which were an improvement on the efforts of yesterday.

I also had a group of five Eleonora's Falcons pass over and a couple of Sparrowhawks. It would seem that conditions for migration were good. I was discover just how good during the afternoon. Laying beside the pool, cold Mythos to hand, I counted a further fifty-three Honey Buzzards and two Eleonora's which were easily picked out with the naked eye due to a veil of high cloud. 

Thursday 28th September and it was back up to the higher ground, with the plan to be on site before 10.30 hrs. Why? Because that's "Buzzard O'clock" a phrase I first heard used by Phil Milton down in Pegwell Bay during the 1990's and it's certainly proven to be a good call during migration periods in both Spring and Autumn here on Thanet. Would it be applicable on Corfu? Only one way to find out and I was going to give it my best shot. Up at the flag with a few minutes to spare, just in time to watch the arse end of a HB disappear beyond a clump of Olives on the horizon. Walking along the track, I encountered another two, high up and moving deliberately southwards, then another two singles did much the same just a few minutes later. I rattled off a few token shots, but knew that they were nothing special. I'd done my usual route and was on the way back when, suddenly, a bird appeared below my position, slowly spiraling upwards. It was a surreal experience, looking down on a Honey Buzzard, yet seeing blue sky as the background. It was fill my boots time and I clicked away merrily as the bird put on a magnificent display, quickly gaining height before moving off to the south.

Surely I wasn't going to get a better chance of decent photos than this?


It wasn't until Saturday 30th September that I made a return to the high ground. My limbs ached from the exertions involved in walking this rugged terrain, so a day off was a very sensible idea. It paid off handsomely, as I returned refreshed and keen to see what else was happening. I was up by the flag some twenty minutes earlier than planned, thanks to Dave, an ex-pat, who gave me a lift in his car up to the village of Kato Garouna. I'd walked about a mile along the track, reaching a derelict pump house overlooking the island to the south. It's probably the highest point along this particular trail. I sat on the wall, swigging from my water bottle when I suddenly spotted two Honey Buzzards flying directly towards me, quickly joined by a third. They reached my position before deciding to use the thermal to gain height. What a show they put on for two or three minutes before drifting off to the south. Just to watch them was a privilege, to have a camera in my hands was an absolute thrill.



I saw my final HB on Tuesday 3rd October, again whilst wandering around on the high ground. In a European context, this species is not particularly rare but, to a guy from Kent, they are gold dust. To be able to spend time in their company, doing it my way is something which words cannot convey. I'm really am a very lucky guy.


Next offering will be about the insects, I think!

2 comments:

  1. Dyl, I'll cut to the chase. That Sigma lens of yours's needs retiring. It doesn't do justice to the opportunities presented. You really have to use a Canon lens. That or get a Nikon Coolpix 950.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ric, I'm sure that a different lens would give me better image quality but, it's a matter of priorities. Photography isn't a hobby, just the bi-product of my involvement in so many outdoor activities. A Canon alternative is certainly something which might happen, yet it will have to be when/if I can justify that sort of expenditure? In the meantime it is the Sigma or nothing! - Dyl

      Delete