Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 10 July 2023

Variety; "the spice of life"?

 I've not really been up to much, of late, just fannying around down at the "Carp puddle" and driving myself insane attempting to put names to incredibly well marked, yet tiny, moths. Two steps forward, one step back, seems to fit the bill at this point in proceedings. However, learning is all about experience and the ability to draw positives from apparent failure. So whilst my micro moth id skills are slowly showing signs of improvement, the EOS 70d is fast becoming a revelation as I understand more about the various settings that are available to me. Youtube has been an absolute gold mine, as I've sought information about various digital photography techniques. The Canon website being a superb place to start before being directed to some tutorial which is able to demonstrate, in easy steps, how to do whatever it is you're attempting. 

Rosy-striped Knot-horn

Marbled Piercer

Lesser Tawny Tubic

Now I am old enough to remember the pre-digital age of film photography and that old adage "the camera never lies". Well in 2023, the statement may still be hanging on by a thread, but poetic license certainly has a massive role in the truth. Photographing the garden sun-set using the SCN setting, as opposed to Auto, has given another dimension to my results. Absolutely no doubt as to how pleasing on the eye but, at the same time, nowhere close to the scene that I'd actually pointed the lense at! No way can the camera create extra cloud cover or alter the physical features in shot, but the colour density and contrast is off the scale to how I perceive the same skyline with my naked eyes.

No-one living on Thanet saw a sun-set like this last night.
 My Canon EOS 70D did and we all know that cameras don't lie?

With Bev doing her swimming thing I, once again, took a drive across to the flatlands to have another scan around the area in the hope of discovering somewhere new to place my baited rigs. Without going into too much detail, I think I might have found such a spot? I'm very hopeful that I'll be able to get out there tomorrow evening? Whilst I was out on the marsh it seemed rude not to spend a bit of time with the numerous Norfolk (Green-eyed) Hawkers which are now such a feature of this habitat.

A flatland's Norfolk Hawker

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see the Norfolks are with you Dyl and you are appreciating them. What kind of numbers have you been having pf them? Take care and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marc, really nice to hear from you. As I'm out on the marsh in search of Carp, the numbers of Norfolk Hawkers, and other dragon/damselflies, are not a priority to me. There were certainly double figures of Norfolk Hawkers, today, but that is almost certainly because I went looking for them in the hope of grabbing a photo, or two. So glad you've decided to keep blogging, your photo content is outstanding mate.
      All the best - Dyl

      Delete