Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 12 July 2023

Fantastic beasts

When J.K. Rowling used her wonderfully creative imagination and superb storytelling skills to follow the Harry Potter saga with tales of mythical, magical, creatures which occupied the space in her mind, there was absolutely no doubt that the result would be more best sellers. "Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them" was then given the full cinema special effects treatment to allow us access into the incredible world that J.K. had envisaged. Story telling genius which will entertain far beyond the constraints of mortality?

I went fishing last night, just a short into dark session, out on the flatlands. Nothing to report, yet I was very happy with how things panned out. My rig placement, swim choice and umpteen other niggles were allayed by the simple fact that I was finally out there doing things my way. To top it off, I heard my first "purring" Turtle Dove (in Kent) for two years and also had a Water Vole swim past my rod, and that doesn't happen too often these days. Anyway, it was whilst sat behind a motionless rod and silent bite alarm that I started thinking about how much impact my interest in natural history has upon my daily life. At this point I got bitten by a savage midge and was quickly reminded why insect repellent is such a key part of my fishing gear. The moth trap had been sorted out before I left home and it had been rather productive on the previous evening, so I had high hopes for a repeat performance. At 23.30 hrs, I was packing up and there were plenty of moths attracted to my head torch as I used it to assist my task. A few bat.sp (probably Daubenton's) were skimming over the surrounding marshland and a Greenshank called out, loudly, in the darkness.

Roseate Marble

Pearl Grass Veneer

Four-spotted Obscure

Back home just after midnight I was able to spend a while watching the activity around the 125w MV trap before deciding to call it a day. Although I actually got up at 05.15 hrs to switch off the trap, I didn't get up, for real, until gone 10.00 hrs. I was knackered! Checking the contents of the moth trap is always fun, purely because of the ridiculous diversity of shape, size and colour of the insects drawn to the light. Fantastic beasts indeed and where the idea for this post was spawned. I was going nowhere today, except for the usual gardening duties and afternoon school run. So with my camera kit set to capture macro images, I spent my time just looking at the creatures which crossed my path. 

Harlequin Ladybird nymph

A "Greenbottle-type" Fly

The realisation that there is so much wildlife sharing my space which I completely ignore/overlook is crazy. It goes without saying that the camera technology plays a massive part in my ability to actually appreciate what is there to be discovered. I am now beginning to understand the mind-set of the PSL gang, although still unable to accept that killing specimens or league tables has any role in the appreciation of our natural world.

Zebra Spider

Weevil sp. 

Flesh Fly

Fantastic beasts, without any doubt, just I don't need to read a fairytale in order to discover such creatures. They are all around me if only I take the time to look! They don't need names, or assignment to a specific genus, the fact that I can look and be amazed will do for me. If others undertake the same journey and discover a different level of involvement - fill your boots. 

Don't have the first idea where to start looking?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dyl, this is a great website for bug id https://www.britishbugs.org.uk/gallery.html Cheers Stewart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this Stewart. No doubt I'll have a requirement to visit the site in the not too distant future? All the best - Dyl

      Delete