Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 20 July 2023

Can't have one without the other

I've not made any accurate measurements, but would think that I actually own (according to the property deeds) slightly less than a 1/10 th of an acre which includes the land occupied by the bungalow itself. Whilst that is more than enough grass to cut, when pushing a mower around, it does cause a few issues when attempting to make the most of the local wildlife opportunities. Running a 125w MV moth trap whilst also maintaining a Hedgehog feeding station, in such a limited area, is never going to be without a conflict of interest? No avoiding the simple fact that Hedgehogs will eat moths when the opportunity arises.  I do have a wire mesh fence, with a 7ft diameter, surrounding my trap, yet moths which land on the grass outside this barrier are beyond my help unless I happen to be watching the garden when they pitch down.

Moth killers, or not, I can't see a time when I won't encourage these
wonderful creatures to visit my garden.

Since the start of June I know that  Elephant (7),  Privet (3) and Eyed (1) Hawk-moths have fallen foul of these spiny garden visitors, plus a number of Yellow Underwing sp. and other odd noctuid-type moths. I suppose I could construct an even larger diameter fence, but where do you draw the line? Hedgehogs around the local gardens are a real success story and a constant source of enjoyment for all of us involved in the "Hedgehog Street" monitoring program. That I am also, very much, enjoying the garden moth trapping means that this conflict of interests will remain as I'm not prepared to give up on either aspect of garden wildlife watching. 


No comments:

Post a Comment