Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 26 July 2023

Easy does it

 Over the past eleven days my self-found (birding) year list has had two additions. Little Owl, a pair in West Stourmouth churchyard and, today, I finally added Willow Warbler to the meagre tally of 160 species. Absolutely pathetic, when viewed from the outside, but there it is. I've already recorded Bea-eater and Honey Buzzard from the garden this year, so it's a crazy way of doing things I guess?  In 2022 I managed to end the year on 177 species, but that looks highly unlikely if our September holiday to Kefalonia doesn't happen and things aren't looking too brilliant at this current moment.

One, of three, seen around the garden during the morning

The garden moth trapping continues to provide some superb entertainment with quite a few decent species starting to appear. However, there won't be anything to report tomorrow as overnight wind and rain ensures that the Robinson Trap will remain indoors. 

Saltmarsh Bell

Jersey Tiger

Broad-barred Knot-horn

The Red Valerian, out the front of the bungalow is rapidly approaching the end of it's flowering period, but still manages to attract the odd Humming-bird Hawk-moth. As I said in a previous post, they always make me smile and I apologise for the very samey images that I capture. 

Finally, this very weird looking Scarce Bordered Straw turned up this morning. It looks very pale, although probably due to being rather worn ?


No comments:

Post a Comment