Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 31 July 2023

Taking the piss

 As if it's not testing the limits of my photographic ability when trying to get macro images, this evening I've pushed the boundaries way beyond anything attempted previously. With the moth trap fired up and the light fading rapidly, I noticed a small bat sp. flying around the large Buddleia which is part of our rear hedgerow. The Magenta 5, bat detector, rapidly involved, my best guess being that the individual involved was a Soprano Pipistrelle? The best reception I managed was between 53 - 55 KHz which is spot on for this species according to the limited information I have at my disposal. Standing there, ear phones in, pointing the detector at this wonderful garden visitor, it became very clear that it had a fairly regular patrol route. Would it be possible to get a photo? Only one way to get an answer to the question - grab the camera and give it a go.

Absolutely no way would my primitive kit be able to autofocus in nano-seconds as the bat passed, so I set the minimum focus distance and pointed the kit in the general direction whenever it flew past. Twice I managed to get an image of the bat, one of which is very pleasing under the circumstances. Not even close to being anything other than a record shot, it is, however, a start and something I can use as a benchmark should the opportunity arise again.

4 comments:

  1. I would say Dyl, that this is one fine picture to get. What flash system did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ric,
      It's a photographic opportunity that was there to be attempted and I don't recall any of my fellow bloggers posting such images. The flash used was the silly little pop-up version that is standard on the Canon EOS range. I'm going to dig out my old flash-gun from the attic and see if that will offer any advantages? I suppose the bottom line in any situation like this must be "if you don't try, you'll never know!"

      Delete
    2. Dyl, would the flash-gun in the attic afford the benefits and advantages of the latest Canon versions?

      Delete
    3. Ric, I have absolutely no idea as to the answer but, knowing that photographing bats will never become a mainstream hobby, am happy to use that old unit safe in the knowledge that it will certainly be an improvement on the silly little flip-up version which come as standard on all Canon models.

      Delete