Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 8 May 2024

Can garden birding get much better?

My choice of title is due to a crazy fifteen minutes I've just experienced, pointing the long lens through the conservatory windows. A male Ring Ouzel has been hopping around the lawn, searching for food, allowing me some amazing views as well as photographic opportunities.




Yesterday afternoon saw me capture some shots of another unusual bird, actually perched on our neighbours roof as opposed to flying over. An adult Lesser Black-backed Gull posed beatifully in the late afternoon sunshine. Quite possibly a local breeding bird which has been displaced by the work being undertaken on the Bookers roof over at Pyson's Road Industrial Estate?


It's now fast approaching 17.30 hrs and returned from a Tesco foray, sorted out the school run and other nonsense, have had some more time to go through the Ring Ouzel images (all 154 of them) which I obtained this morning. So, as an update, here are another three photos just to add to the blogging output.



The cable, laying on the lawn in the middle image, is my power supply
for the garden moth trap.

2 comments:

  1. Dyl, as a kid I had the Ladybird book of Garden Birds and can assure you, that this most excellent record would have guaranteed confusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, I too owned a copy of that Ladybird book as a junior school kid way back in the 1960's. It was, however, my progression to a copy of Collins " A Field Guide toThe Birds of Britain & Europe" (a 1963, 8th impression, of the 1954 original) which still sits on my book self, that really kicked off my interest in the birds I encountered during my childhood. It seems crazy, therefore, that some sixty years down the road this garden sighting is still capable of creating such excitement. Long may it continue. - Dyl

      Delete