Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 26 October 2024

Moths, birds & "Greenpeace" hooks!

Not too much to report of late, hence a lack of posts, but I am still enjoying my morning examination of the visitors to the egg trays within the 125w MV trap. I am indebted to Ian Roberts, and the superb Folkestone Birds website, purely because he posts daily news of the migrant (and scarce/unusual) moths being attracted to the traps within his local area.  Radford's Flame Shoulders have been recorded on a daily basis, max of two, since that first record. This morning was to see my second Merveille du Jour of the autumn, plus nine Olive-tree Pearls, seven Rusty-dot Pearls, three Scarce Bordered Straws, a Silver Y, a Pearly Underwing and a Gem.

Silver Y

However, none of those moths are particularly unusual, given what is being reported from elsewhere along the Kent coastline. It was the discovery of a Dark-streaked Button (Acleris umbrana) which really stood out. I had trapped one on 20th July, yet failed to appreciate the significance of the encounter. This morning I was much more aware of the status of this species and that it was a very scarce visitor to a Thanet moth trap. To say I had fun and games attempting to get some useable images wouldn't do justice to the shenanigans involved. I ended up in the conservatory, with the moth perched on a window, using my work lite to illuminate the moth, whilst attempting to use the camera in the other hand. 

A bit "washed out" due to the work-lite.
Dark-streaked Button - a scarce & localised species in Southern UK

At this time of year, Oak Rustics are a species which can be almost guaranteed to be present on the egg trays and I'm seeing them regularly, a max of three yesterday morning. Garden birds are also a major part of my daily routine, thus I ensure that the feeding station is kept topped up. Blue & Great Tits seem to be particularly numerous, at present, although House Sparrow numbers are certainly on the upward trajectory. Obviously I am always on the lookout for something unusual, yet am still happy to watch Chaffinch & Goldfinches visiting the feeders as well as the continued visits by both of the Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

Oak Rustic

Garden Goldfinch

I did take the rods down to the "Carp Puddle" for a couple of hours, yesterday. Two bites - two hook pulls! I think I must have been using "Greenpeace" hooks? Bev and I took a drive down to The Battle of Britain Memorial Site, this morning for the obligatory "coffee & cake" before heading out across Romney Marsh to survey a section of the RMC. Thankfully, the canal looks in decent nick and I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get a baited rig into the venue in the, not to distant, future?


No comments:

Post a Comment