Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see enjoyment of the natural world as an arena for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Perch o'clock.

Perch are hands down my favourite species to fish for. I don’t mind if it’s lure fishing, dropshotting, live-baiting or static fishing for them, be that on the float or at range with the ledger tactics. This time of year is when I really start to focus on them, hoping to find that elusive 4lb fish that’s so far eluded me. My current pb is 3lb 14oz caught from our local river. I will never forget that day, my dad drove all the way over from Ramsgate just to see the fish and take a couple of photos, being able to share that moment with him means more to me now than catching the fish ever did.


A Perch and a moment I will never forget.


I am in the fortunate situation where I have got multiple waters available to me which could contain my target fish, the syndicate has apparently never produced a genuine 4, so it would have to be a lake record to come from there, but considering that it’s only me and my good friend Andy who fish for them in 40odd acres, there’s every possibility that one of us will have one, Andy has taken perch to 3:14 and I have had them to 3:11, so we’re on the right tracks. We are limited by the syndicate rules because we aren’t allowed to use live-baits, but that just means we have to think and adapt our tactics, which is what fishing should be about. Solving the puzzle which is put in front of you. 


My syndicate PB at 3:11.



Canterbury and district have a different set of rules, we are allowed to use live baits to fish for the perch, assuming that we have caught them from the same water in which we are going to to use them in and they’re released if not used. It’s well documented as far back as Isaac Walton and beyond that live baits are by far the best way to catch big perch. That being said, it’s not always easy to catch small enough baits to use for the perch. That’s been the biggest issue so far in fact, I have come up with a plan though, so hopefully won’t be a problem for long! 


3lb 2oz of CADAA magnificence.


I’ve only managed a few trips out so far but have already managed to land a fish of 2lb 2oz on a spinner, as well as a 1lb 10oz fish on a live bait. We’ve also accidentally discovered that dropshotting is a killer tactic for catching Rudd, so that will no doubt turn into a future project. 


2lb 2oz 






Rudd on the dropshot, who'd 'ave thought!


Hopefully theres a 4lber with my name on it somewhere this season, but if there isn't, I'll have to get better at catching them and try again next season!

Tight lines,

Benno.



No comments:

Post a Comment