Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 22 October 2023

Quick catch up

I've not been too sparkling, of late,  as the changeable weather which accompanied Storm Babet is causing my arthritic joints to ache and some! To add to my woes, the demands of kicking a football about in the garden has also taken a toll; my left groin is telling me I'm way too old for that sort of caper! Oh the joys of being a Grand-dad? Today has been rather enjoyable, as Thanet basked in some late-Autumn sunshine, and I've been able to spend a considerable amount of the day out in the garden, just looking. A dozen, or so, Common Buzzards came in, from the south, before drifting of westwards. A few Chaffinches trickled over, with the odd Skylark in tow. The garden hedge hosted a Chiffchaff and two Goldcrests, although none of them were prepared to pose for the camera.



All the action took place within forty-five minutes around mid-day.

I continue to run the moth trap, out of habit rather than expectation. Nothing particularly exciting has been discovered on the egg trays since we returned from Corfu. Delicates, Scarce Bordered Straws and Rusty-dot Pearls continue to provide evidence of migration, yet my best recent records have involved the first Oak Rustic, of the year, plus a couple of Large Wainscots and a Deep-brown Dart.

Large Wainscot

Deep-brown Dart

Despite the intermittent rain and low temperatures, last night's catch did include my second Golden Twin-spot of the year, thus ensuring I continue to keep going through this nightly ritual.

Golden Twin-spot

I'd like to finish with a request for assistance? The following moth sp. was not trapped in the UK but, instead, turned up in our apartment in Corfu. Anyone got any idea what it is?

Corfu noctuid sp.


No comments:

Post a Comment