Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 17 June 2023

Not quite what I'd planned.

 02.00 hrs on 16th June, I was on my way across to the flatlands, by 04.15 hrs I was back home. The sequence of events which occurred between those two time slots wasn't something I'd expected. So, in short, I've still not made a cast this new season! Knowing that the campaign for a 25 lbs plus Carp from the drains, will be a marathon and not a sprint, I'm happy to bide my time. My journey wasn't a total wasted effort as I managed to add Grasshopper Warbler (No. 158) to my self-found year list plus a nice view of a perched Barn Owl. So with fishing and birds out of the way, it's the garden moths which continue to provide the bulk of my wildlife entertainment.

Mottled Rustic - once again I'm truly grateful for the input of
Stewart Sexton.

Photography is, and will always remain, a spin off from my involvement with spending time outdoors. And whilst I'm perfectly happy to create images which are able to assist my blogging endeavours, there is no desire for me to push the boundaries in order to actually seek to master the digital art. With the technology contained within the EOS 70D already far superior to that ability I possess. Angling, self-take, trophy shots are one thing, the recording of macro images of the micro moths attracted by the 125w MV Robinson Trap are on a whole different level. 



Top to bottom.
Top - Olive Pearl, Middle - Dark Pine Knot-horn, Bottom - Buff-tipped Marble

My use of extension tubes, in conjunction with a Canon 70 - 210 mm lens seems to have given me some level of improved performance over the previous efforts. I shudder to think what someone who actually knew what they were doing could achieve with this same kit?



Top - Triple-blotched Bell  Middle - Marbled Orchard Tortrix  Bottom False Cacao Moth

All things being equal, I am far happier to have spent time looking than actually worrying about how my photography is capable of recording the experience. All I will say is that it works for me!

Cypress-tip Moth - only 4-5 mm in length, so any image is a result.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Dyl, your ingrailed clay is a mottled rustic... cheers, stewart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stewart, your experience and generous help with these critters is much appreciated. All the best - Dyl

      Delete