Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 2 June 2023

Garden Gulls & Moths

Living on The Isle of Thanet, the clue's in the title, it should be no surprise that Herring Gulls are regular visitors to the garden if there's a few scraps of bread thrown on the lawn. There are many folk living here to whom the gulls are a real issue? My stance is very simple, they were here first and if you don't like them - move elsewhere. So right from the off, I enjoy the opportunities to watch these birds going about their daily routines without having to get off my arse. Usually, along Vine Close, there are three breeding pairs but, in 2023, despite all three nest sites being occupied, only one pair has gone on to build a nest and lay eggs due to the ridiculous weather we've experienced this Spring. Knowing that adult Herring Gulls are four plus years old when they start breeding, it is the younger birds, in various states of moult which provide the most interest whenever they turn up.

It's not only feather detail which requires attention, the colouration of beak and iris is also part of the puzzle. The bird above was photographed in April, the one below turned up yesterday!

I'm certainly not alone in my moaning about the prevailing weather conditions. Chris Hindle, of Reculver Birding, suggested that yesterday was more like the 1st November than 1st June, when he was out early morning. I know exactly how he feels and my garden moth trapping has been absolutely hopeless due to the incessant NE winds which show no signs of abating any time soon?  Three moths per night was about the sum of it until last night. I couldn't believe what I was seeing as I checked the egg trays this morning. Thirty-seven moths of seventeen species, what the bloody hell is going on? Three Pearly Underwings and a Silver Y were evidence of some migrant activity, whilst Heart & Dart, Setaceous Hebrew Character, Common Wainscot and Vine's Rustic made up the bulk of the catch. A Treble Lines and White Point were nice to see but the icing on the cake came with the discovery of both Lime and Small Elephant Hawk-moths.


Let's hope that this is a sign of things to come and Spring finally arrives in the part of East Kent.



No comments:

Post a Comment