Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 28 June 2023

A June "double" - just!

My quest to catch a "double" (Carp) in every month of 2023 was teetering on the edge of disaster, as June approached its' final three days. Circumstances, way beyond my control, had dictated that my plans for the flatlands were thrown in the bin and the wheels had certainly fallen off my angling efforts as a direct result. It was my son, Benno, taking the piss out of the project failing in June which spurred me on. The local "carp puddle" had served me well up until this month, why not get back down there just to keep the challenge alive? So that's exactly what I've done. Tuesday produced just two fish, in little over two hours, the biggest weighing in at 7 lbs 14 oz. Today I managed seven Carp, the best one being a battle scarred old Mirror which tipped the scales at 10 lbs 4 oz - job's a good'n!

Silly hats come as standard, when Carp fishing. I got this one from Greece - quality!

There's an awful lot more I need to explain, ref the flatlands, but that can wait for another day. July will certainly be more productive, purely because I've now got some other options.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on maintaining the 'double a month' quest Dyl. I've had double figure Common, Mirror and Leather Carp from a river, a canal and a lake myself. It's a kind of joke. Just nine fish total. I really ought to try harder. My pb is a 15 from 1980.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carp fishing in 2023 is unrecognisable from the angling we experienced during those halcyon days of the 1980's. Back then any "double" was viewed as a success. Today they're nothing better than nuisance fish, to many involved, and that is a direct consequence of social media. To this day I have only ever caught one genuine Leather, 19 lbs 6 oz, and that was from Stanborough way back in 1984 (August 25th). Living in Kent does give me quite a distorted view of the current Carp angling scene, as some of the most prolific and high profile fisheries align the Stour Valley. The guys who are "keen" must be getting a great deal of enjoyment from their time on the bank but, to me, it is just camping with fishing rods. Carp fishing today, is all about looking the part and displaying those, all important, brand logos. Can you believe that Korda have just launched a new landing net system at the price of £250 and the tackle reviewers say "worth every penny". You couldn't make it up. Carp anglers are more gullible than the fish they seek if they fall for that sort of nonsense. All the best - Dyl

      Delete