Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 1 September 2015

I was expecting you

As I ventured out into the garden, last night, in order to get the moth trap sorted; I said to Bev that we ought to be in with a chance of a Vestal, or two. I made this comment in the knowledge that Sandwich Bay Obs had taken 30 of these attractive little migrants the previous night (I'd not run the garden trap due to other commitments).



So it was very pleasing, but not a total surprise, to discover five of the critters on the egg boxes this morning. A scattering of Silver Y's, two Dark Sword-grass and three Rusty-dot Pearl were the supporting migrant cast, with my first Dusky Thorn of 2015 also present. Several more micros have been given the EOS treatment and now await scrutiny. Quite what has happened to the migrant birds around Newland's is a bit of a mystery; maybe that maize crop isn't as attractive as I thought or, on the other hand there might not be any birds here at all?

Not your average image of a Dusky Thorn

2 comments:

  1. Dylan,

    I heard on the radio the other day that the ninth of September is "National Moth Trapping Day" and this new pastime for many is really taking off. A really fast growing pursuit. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monty - so nice of you to pass comment. I'm not sure of the date of National Moth Night 2015 - not that it makes any difference. I've been mothing, with varying degrees of enthusiasm, since 1994 and do so these days purely for my own pleasure. I enjoy sharing the experience with my grandchildren and nephews, when I get the opportunity, but just as with all other aspects of my outdoor activities are purely selfish and not undertaken for the benefit of "official recording schemes".
      Your praise for the photographic content is welcome, yet misplaced. The images (when compared to many other blogs) are adequate - nothing more in this ever evolving digital era. My camera technology is very old hat - the photos being part of my personal experience rather than an indication of my ability to purchase the latest equipment.
      Hoping all is well with you and yours - tight lines - Dylan

      Delete