Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 27 September 2015

Back door birding

The overnight conditions were clear with an easterly airflow, so I wasn't overly surprised by the paucity of the moth numbers in the trap. Typical autumn fare included my first Feathered Ranunculus and Lunar Underwings of the year - only one Silver Y! It was while I was checking the contents that I became aware of a number of Chiffchaffs along the gardens, and probably out in the maize, there was even one individual singing. I went indoors to grab the camera gear and got back outside just in time to see/hear a Common Snipe fly over the bungalow - nice.
We've still got good numbers of House Sparrows around; the garden feeding station is probably the main reason? I could hear Long-tailed Tits calling and a quick burst of "pishing" resulted in five of these superb birds appearing in the buddleias, plus a couple of attendant Chiffchaffs, result. I remained outside for an hour, or so, recording several small groups of Siskin headed north, Linnets and Greenfinches moving south and a Kestrel loitering. Jays (local breeding birds?) are very active/conspicuous as they fly to and fro between Ramsgate Cemetery/Broadstairs Cricket Ground and the mature trees around Newland's Farm - collecting acorns at a guess?

Cracking little birds - Bunny calls them "flying spoons"
Hardly surprising - all barbel anglers have a screw lose!
Yesterday morning, as I was sorting out the bacon rolls, there was a Lesser Whitethroat fannying about in the buddleias. I managed to grab a few shots through the double glazed kitchen door which, under the circumstances, I am rather pleased with.


Perfectly usable as a record for the garden and, therefore, this blog.

 
Clear blue skies, a boisterous easterly - so what am I doing this afternoon? Going back to Sandwich Coarse Fishery for a "Sundowner" session. I called in for a chat with Kevin, yesterday afternoon, and got a session booked. The munga is ready, chick peas prepared, rods, reels and assorted kit await loading into the car. Will this be the session when the "Bruce & Walker" challenge is realised?
If it comes to pass, you can bet that I'll be writing all about it tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. And no doubt you'll be sitting there 'safternoon thinking "gawd, this time last week"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough - exactly what I was thinking!

      Delete