Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 6 July 2013

Barbel gold!

Benno and I had a short session on the R. Stour, Friday evening, we fished from 21.30 - 23.00hrs, effectively fishing into darkness. We had a hunch that the secretive barbel would move away from their daytime hideouts and feed on the gravel runs, between the rapidly growing ranunculus weed beds.
What a way to smash your PB - from 6lbs 14oz to 11lbs 6oz in one step!
My only action came courtesy of an eel! Benno hit the jackpot with a barbel of 11lbs 6oz. Just as when he landed his first twenty pound pike, I was waiting with the landing net and, as such, shared in the moment. It's been a long time coming but, at last we might be beginning to unravel some of the puzzle that is the barbel of the Kentish Stour?
Benno was shaking like a leaf - adrenaline does that!
I rang my brother, Simon, who was as excited as we were - back home for mid-night; I cracked open a cold one
It was a fantastic moment, putting the net under this fish for my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment