Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 7 June 2024

Worth the effort

 It was a lovely morning so I decided to take a look at one of the drains that I am going to be Tench fishing this coming season. As I was out on the flatlands it seemed silly not to put in a bit of extra effort and take a look around Worth Marshes RSPB Res. whilst in the area. It proved to be a very enjoyable spin off as I bumped into a couple of other birders who were proper old school Kent lads. There were a few birds to point my binos towards, yet my camera efforts were woeful. Thankfully a couple of Dragonflies provided me with the chance to capture some images worthy of sharing.

The female Black-tailed Skimmer was very obliging, as it rested in some grass beside the main footpath. It was, however, a Norfolk Hawker which provided the best image of the outing. There were several of these, increasingly common, insects patrolling the various ditches and dykes around the reserve and I managed to secure some flight shots by reverting to manual focussing.

Overnight the moth trap was quite busy, although no more Hawk-moths added to the yearly tally. The highlight was the first Delicate of 2024 with a supporting cast including a couple of White Points, Silver Y's, a Pearly Underwing & a few Diamond Backs.


As the season gets ever closer, I am going through my gear in an attempt to reduce what I actually take to the bankside to the absolute minimum required whilst not going without. To this end, I have decided that the barrow isn't suitable for what I have in mind, so have purchased an AVID Ruckbag (thanks Camo) into which everything must now fit. I'm hoping to get out again, tomorrow, in order to check the other venue I have in mind and probably where I will begin this next chapter in the angling adventure?

No comments:

Post a Comment