Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 12 April 2024

Another day, another "double"

 A bit like "Groundhog Day". I was back down at Sandwich Coarse Fishery for a "sundowner" session, on Thursday afternoon, and managed to trip up another nicely conditioned Mirror Carp of 15 lbs 15 oz for my troubles. It would seem that my use of The Bushwhacker baiting pole is causing a few ripples in certain quarters. Basically, if I am not allowed to use it I will take my custom elsewhere. It's a commercial day ticket fishery, thus needs to attract customers, not go OTT with rules which go beyond encouraging proper fish handling and their safe return to the water? I've not had chance to chat with Kevin, as yet, so will have to wait and see how things develop.

I ran the garden moth trap overnight and caught just two individuals. Obviously conditions weren't particularly conducive for these nocturnal insects, yet the two I did attract were migrants? A SIlver Y and a Dark Sword-grass, both of which were my first of 2024.

4 comments:

  1. If a handheld baiting system such as the Bushwhacker is banned, then add catapults and throwing sticks to the list. While about it, why not ban rigs which don't have bait on the actual hook and bite alarms too. These items have all had their merits and ethics chewed over in the past for no better reason than they were different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sentiment lies within the realms of Carp having nowhere that is "safe"? Now whilst I have absolutely no issues with syndicate and/or club venues which incorporate out of bounds areas within a fishery, the whole point of a commercial "day ticket" water is to provide customers with as much opportunity as is possible. That one guy has it in his mind that what I am doing is beyond fair angling is only to be expected, and jealousy probably plays a major part in this? My rigs are positioned accurately, with minimal disturbance, whilst attempting to cast into these same area would pose the real issue of lost tackle adorning the overhanging foliage, with the added threat to other wildlife around the venue because of possible entanglement. As far as I'm aware no decision has been made yet, so I will continue to visit the fishery until such time as the rules are changed.

      Delete
  2. Dylan Wrathall.... Causing a few ripples?.... NEVER!!! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      How I wish the ripples were because it was important? But, no, it's just born of jealousy and a complete unwillingness to embrace progress.
      The bigger picture is so much better, so if it all goes tits up at Sandwich there are plenty more avenues to be explored.
      Thanks for the comment and tight lines for the coming season
      Dyl

      Delete