Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 10 April 2024

Afternoon delight

 I managed to grab a short, "Sun-downer", session at Sandwich Coarse Fishery this afternoon. Although it was quite chilly in the stiff SW breeze I did manage to temp a lovely Mirror Carp, of 17 lbs 3 oz, to pick up my baited rig. A really enjoyable tussle, in a tight corner swim, was just what the doctor ordered. I'd only just landed it when Ken, one of the fishery bailiffs, turned up and the regulation banter ensued. Apparently I'm a cheat! I use a baiting pole and that's not fishing, yet it doesn't contravene any of the fishery rules, so I can't be doing anything wrong? Well that is with the exception of Ken's opinion. All harmless fun and after a quick selfie session, back it went. I stayed on for another couple of hours without any further action. I hadn't blanked, so what's to moan about?.

A lovely, scaly, fish in great condition.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dylan,
    I was looking through some old KOS stuff yesterday and came across a special 50th Anniversary Issue Newsletter that came out in April 2002. There were a lot of birding articles in it relating to various birder's experiences during the previous 50 years but quite stunned me. It was an incredible eight-page article entitled "A Year to Remember - Kent Listing in 1999" and written by a fanatical twitcher who spent every waking hour tearing around the countryside trying to set a new record for a total of different birds seen in one year. Your many experiences as that twitcher made an interesting read but I found it difficult to identify the person that writes these current blogs, with that fanatical twitcher all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derek,
      Yes, indeed, that very same bloke who brought OCD obsessional behaviour, from my angling 1980-93, into Kent birding 1993-2011, when I moved here with my job. That it was that very "Year to Remember" which was to cause my first marriage to end is now why I have removed the need for competition from my enjoyment of the outdoors and all that I encounter. Yet another manifestation of the benefits of the aging process I guess?
      Thanks for taking time to share this tale, cheers.

      Dylan

      Delete