Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 17 December 2016

Luke's birthday social

Luke was thirty, earlier this week, and it was his idea to have a social session to celebrate this momentous event. Little could he have known just how it would pan out. We arrived at the chosen venue, one that I've never previously seen, and were fishing before 07.00 hrs. Benno, Luke, Skunk (he doesn't smell - it's due to bad habits, of his youth, that he's obtained this particular pseudonym) and I traveled down in convoy, Tom and Rob meeting up with us there.
Benno's bait couldn't have settled on the bottom when his back-biter sounded. False alarm? He re-set the indicator and had just sat back down when the same rod was away, this time no messing; line trickling from the spool at a steady rate. As soon as he hit it, it was apparent that it was no jack. The battle was a decent scrap, but steady pressure from his 1.5 lbs t/c barbel rods soon took its' toll and a nice fish was dragged over the rim of the waiting net; yours truly on the other end. We all knew it was a good fish; just how good was revealed by the trusty Ruben Heatons - 22 lbs 8 oz! A new PB and his first English twenty. He was ready to pack up, there and then, and go on the piss! I taught him well? However, it was Luke's gig and we remained at the water. Luke soon enjoying some action when first he landed an 11 lbs 4 oz pike quickly followed by a fine specimen of 16 lbs 9 oz - happy birthday! It was then Skunk's turn to bend a rod, a scraper double, possibly? He didn't weigh it - he's a carp angler, at heart, and they don't stoop to weighing fish, unless they're mid-thirties!
I'd seen enough and recast my rods, the right hander going away almost immediately and I found myself attached to a spirited pike of little more than 9 lbs - but, at least, I had avoided the dreaded blank.
I'll show my fish, first, so not to look silly when compared to those which the boys took
We fished on, a small pikelet to Rob and a lost fish for me, but that was it and all before 08.30 hrs. I stayed until 16.30 hrs because Bev had gone on a coach trip to Romford Market with her mate and wasn't due home till after 18.00 hrs - just in time for "Strictly" (it's the final don't you know?) The boys disappeared to go lure fishing at another venue and I spent the rest of the session alone - a cracking way to waste a day until the fog descended and made the drive back home an absolute nightmare. I've seen enough to know that I'll be going back there very soon - the Christmas holidays look favorite.
Luke's brace


Benno's new PB - 22 lbs 8 oz and his first English "twenty"

9 comments:

  1. A rare day indeed Dyl, and not one you'll need a diary to remember; birthdays being what they are.
    The question I have isthis: Is it possible to work a 9lb pike down a 22lb, and would that make it a 30lb?
    I was present when someone caught a pike of just over 20lb's. During the unhooking, one of the helpers (secretly envious) noted a fish tail protruding from the gullet. He grabbed some forceps and pulled the fish (not bait) out! It wasn't a small fish - and the pike was no longer a 20!
    Fight it out among yourselves boys. I'll stick to roach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richie, you mix with some very strange folk. If anyone pulled a stroke like that whilst fishing with us they would be invited to "fuck off" very quickly. If an angler is unable to appreciate the successes of others, they are better off fishing alone. I got more satisfaction from that fish, yesterday, because it was a milestone achievement for Ben, than catching it myself and it just being another "twenty". Not that I've caught that many, but it mean't so much more in our relationship. I have netted his first "double" barbel, both his Scottish and English 20 lbs + pike and his first 20 + carp - I don't need a diary to remember any of those occasions, they are forever etched in my soul, plus I have the photos!

      Delete
  2. Well done to you all and congrats to Ben on his fish nice photo's. I was going through the old photo box the other day are the two Mitch bro's still about i've not seen them up Tring over the years. stay safe be lucky and happy christmas to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ron, Benno sends his regards. As for the Mitch's? Phil and Simon are still living in Hemel, Phil is on Bev's facebook mates thing and passes comment every now and then. I haven't seen or heard from them for a long time now. Good to know that you are still visiting the hallowed waters of Tring - I hanker for a return to Wilstone, just one more cast? Take care and keep happy - Dyl

      Delete
  3. See the ET tube still going strong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ET tubes are still going strong thirty odd years after I purchased them. A permanent part of my pike tackle they are also superb for recovering barbel. Take care and tight lines - Dyl

      Delete
  4. What a great session Dyl. Cracking pike, cracking photos. Hopefully I'll be present for Rob's first twenty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you and Rob are anything like Benno and I, then you'll gain as much pleasure from Rob's milestone fish as he does.

      Delete