Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 25 June 2016

Garden sunshine

The day dawned bright and calm, with temperatures in the high teens. Gadget had rung me, yesterday, with news that he'd had Humming-bird Hawkmoths nectaring on his garden honeysuckle - "keep your eyes open" being the gist of the conversation. I'd got Bev's tea brewed and took my coffee and camera kit (including the 70 - 210 mm lens) into the garden. A recently fledged Wood Pigeon was perched on a newly erected fence post and allowed close approach. A Collared Dove dropped down onto the framework of the feeding station, again, well within range of the 210 mm lens. Insects were active and varied; butterflies dominant with Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Holly Blue, Painted Lady and Large White all recorded. Good numbers of Silver Y's (moths) have suddenly appeared and, as predicted, a Hummer turned up on the Red Valerian giving me a great opportunity to play with the new lens - I have to say that I'm rather pleased with my results.






I really enjoyed a very pleasant morning, before it all went tits - up! Fishing this evening; so what else could I hope for - it's now pissing down!

3 comments:

  1. I took a very similar photo yesterday, although as well as the HBH Moth there were several Silver Y's. I missed commenting on your Brexit blog yesterday but I'm happy to say that I'm a fellow Leaver. Poor Old Steve G has taken it in a bad way though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derek,
      Apologies for the delay in my reply - there's shit going on behind the scenes and life isn't as it should be (short term) I've seen Steve's latest post and feel rather guilty, but then again not. He makes some interesting, and very valid points. Maybe I should have added to my Brexit post? I come from a family who lost members of two previous generations fighting World Wars in order to prevent the German domination of Europe - why did they die in vain when successive political regimes have given up the very sovereignty they fought so hard to protect? Ted Heath enrolled the UK into a "Common Market", what it has morphed into is why so many of our age group feel betrayed and let down. I respect the views that Steve offers, however I'm not sorry for my own stance or opinions, we move on! Dyl

      Delete