Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 6 December 2013

Enlightenment

As a species, humans are blessed with the ability to think about, and question, their very existence and what part they play in the bigger picture. Our quest for knowledge is insatiable; we want to know more and more. Collectively, the whole of humanity has pushed the boundaries further than any other intelligent life form that exists on earth - Whales, Dolphins and the Great Apes might qualify as intelligent, but none of them has Internet or mobile phone technology, so they can't be that bright?
The announcement that the BOU was removing Slender-billed Curlew from the "British List" met with very mixed response. There were those (who hadn't seen it) that felt that the record was "dodgy" and others (who had seen it) convinced of its' id and, as such, rightful place on the "list". If I remember correctly; Jimmy Steel did a magnificent job in researching the id criteria and presenting his conclusions to the BOURC. Even he felt that this species was so rare (on the brink of extinction) that it couldn't occur within the UK, yet concluding, given the evidence, he had to recommend acceptance!
I didn't see it and it makes absolutely no difference to my life what the BOU do, or don't do! I do not require a third party to make decisions, of such insignificance, on my behalf - it's a poxy bird, not a life threatening disease or global catastrophe. If you saw it and are happy with your views, so that Slender-billed Curlew is what you saw, fantastic! Stick to your guns - if you are happy to lie to yourself, then so be it. However, if you have the courage in your convictions, and remain convinced that it WAS a Slender-billed Curlew; then fair play! My lists are purely for my benefit, not a means by which I compare myself, or my achievements, with others. On a birding theme, I am happy to include Booted Eagle on my Kent list, yet have not counted Hooded Merganser - both decisions contrary to the BBRC. No-one has died because of this and, within the bigger picture, it really doesn't matter what I count and what I ignore. My lists, my sightings - thus I am the judge, jury and executioner. If I've made a mistake, there is no shame in changing an opinion based upon other experiences. (The Dover Harbour Kumlien's Gull being a good example)
I think that I'm most intrigued by this decision because ten good men, albeit 15 years ago, gave the record the "thumbs up" - if it wasn't a Slender-billed Curlew then is it possible to have an answer as to what the current incumbents think it was? (The reasoning behind their decision to reject it)

2 comments:

  1. Amen bruv! You should be running the records committee Dyl ... imagine that? That would put a few 'much needed' noses out of joint eh? Take care matey ... Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil,
    Many thanks for taking the time to comment! Me on a rarities committee - never gonna happen! I find the whole concept completely un-acceptable! We're talking natural history, nothing of importance to the bigger picture. Putting noses out of joint - in my past I would have found that quite a stimulus - I couldn't give a toss today!
    Margate Cemetery (aka Mecca) - who gives a monkey's?
    As for taking care? - I always do!
    Dyl

    ReplyDelete