Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 29 December 2013

A walk in the winter sun

It's a beautiful day and, learning of a Yellow-browed Warbler in Ramsgate, I decided that a trip to King George VI Park might be a plan? I have no idea where the warbler has been seen: KG VI is always a good bet for the species so off I went. I spent an hour, or so, wandering around the park - no other birders to be seen; so I assume the Yellow-browed was at another location? I saw nothing to quicken the pulse, yet still enjoyed my time. A quick look along the under cliff, below Winterstoke Steps, revealed that a huge number of other Thanet residents were of a same mind and enjoying the conditions down on the beach.
Un-surprisingly birds were at a premium, although the Fulmars have already returned to their nesting ledges in some numbers. A small number of Pied Wagtails were feeding along the tide line, and I found a rather confiding Rock Pipit on the concrete groyne below the San Clu Hotel.
A species which breeds around our Thanet coastline, the numbers are bolstered by
winter migrants whose plumage is very different from our resident population.
A nice change; it is a route which I will be taking, with greater regularity, in the coming months as I attempt to get out birding again.

No comments:

Post a Comment