Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 29 August 2013

Trying to make sense of it all

I am at a loss as to what to do next - ref. R. Stour barbel. Two sessions this week have produced nothing more than eels. OK: I'm fishing blind, in a swim which has produced two thirteen pounders, so what do I expect? And there's the problem! I don't know what I expect. I know what I'd like but, is it realistic? Is it achievable? Tom took his first R.Stour barbel yesterday, it weighed in at 8lbs 9oz - so another new fish for us.
I have been scouring the Internet for clues, on how to avoid eels, and hints which might provide a spark of an idea. My previous experiences are of very limited use - eels were never an issue on the Royalty or the R. Lea. The pieces of this puzzle are slowly falling into place, however, I feel that it will be a while yet, before I (we) can claim to have made any significant progress. If barbel liked 18mm halibut pellets, that much, the eels wouldn't get a look in - well that's my slant on it. We are still searching for a robust, yet attractive, hook bait (the Million Dollar quest?)
Dicranopalpus ramosus - A very common creature - yet the first time I'd seen it?
Away from the fishing, there has been an increase in avian activity around Newland's Farm. Four Whinchat were flitting about the winter wheat (which is awaiting harvest - due to the heavy rain) and Willow Warbler activity is very noticeable around the gardens of Vine Close. A Hedgehog was feeding on some scraps, on the patio, a very pleasing record and a resting harvestman (Dicranopalpus ramosus) was discovered on the conservatory wall - quite a spectacular critter with the forked palps! I've rotated the image through 90 degrees before you start wondering what sort of consevatory we have?

No comments:

Post a Comment