Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 19 December 2012

What's been happening?


So; what have I been up to since October 2011? It’s difficult to know where to start – firstly I have lost much of my enthusiasm for Kent birding, although I still enjoy the challenge of my Newland’s Farm patch. Mini-beasts and the “Garden Safari” stuff have provided me with endless new experiences, all of which have given me great pleasure.  Bumble-bees are a group that I’ve grown to admire; the diversity of the markings, within a single species, is as absorbing as any “Larid” conundrum. Sawflies, Hoverflies, Grasshoppers and Crickets have also risen into my consciousness, although I must admit that they are still way off the radar as to specific id. Spiders are another group which have made my wanderings more enjoyable, they being numerous and widespread across most habitats I visit – even within the four walls of Dumpton Manor!

My fishing has been rather low key, in comparison to my earlier (1974 – 93) obsession, although I am no less pro-active whilst I’m on the bank. As always my efforts are focussed on getting the maximum number of “specimen-sized” fish into my landing net yet, my day is not ruined should I fail, unlike my previous exploits, with so many other interests it is impossible to have a “blank” session.

I have been fortunate to capture two new “personal bests” during 2012; my first being a Perch of 2lbs 10oz and the other a Chub of 5lbs 2oz. Neither specimen is particularly noteworthy in these modern times, however back in the 1990’s both fish would have had been worthy of inclusion in the weekly angling press; how things have changed! Something that hasn’t changed is my unwillingness to divulge information about swim location and methods. Having worked hard at achieving my rewards I am not about to offer any free-loading tosser an easy option where decent fish are involved. My choice of background is as import now, as it always was, as I wish to keep my fishing as un-cluttered as possible and have no desire to share swims with any other anglers away from my immediate fishing mates. If you recognise a swim, so be it, but I will not be making any reference to my whereabouts in any postings, unless I’m on a day-ticket carp puddle!

No comments:

Post a Comment