Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 29 December 2012

At last!

Benno, Luke, Gadget and myself were assembled on the banks of The Royal Military Canal by 07.15hrs, this morning, for another session after the pike. Obviously, with four of us present, there is also a chance for a chat and a bit of banter - so quite a light hearted approach - although all of us are keen to convert any chances, that come our way, into fish on the bank!
Once again, and despite the seemingly favourable conditions, we struggled for bites. Gadget, Luke and Benno (in that order) all having takes which they failed to connect with. I was convinced that I'd caught my last pike and my tackle was now redundant; such was my confidence level. Having moved from my original swim to another some 300 yards further east, at 10.15hrs one of my home-made "back-biter" alarms registered a take and I was on the rod within a few seconds. Knowing how finicky these pike have been, I felt the line for signs of a fish before seeing the rod tip "nod" and feel the line tighten. Over with the bale arm and an upwards lift of the rod - fish on!
The fight wasn't particularly spectacular, nor was the fish, however I could not put into words how pleased I felt when I got this pike to my waiting landing net. She wasn't big, just a "scraper" double of 10lbs 9oz - yet I felt that a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders and the previous "blanks" were now behind me. I'd found a fish and presented my bait (a sweetened green dyed Mackerel tail) in such a manner that had produced, what turned out to be, the only fish of the session.
My bloodied hands are a result of my contact with the "gill rakers" as I removed the hooks - no gain without pain!
My swim; tucked away - two Duncan Kay carp rods
 with two ABU Cardinal 66x reels - vintage stuff!
Bite indication and rig refinement can now follow - I have a slight insight into what the pike of this venue prefer when these flood water conditions persist.
There are several little "tweaks" that I am now contemplating; all of which are to enhance the attractiveness of my dead baits in these murky conditions. Will I have improved returns - only time will tell; the beauty of specimen hunting. Birds were few and far between yet I managed to record two Dark-bellied Brent Geese, 2 Waxwings, 1 Chiffchaff and 1 Goldcrest along the canal with another Waxwing perched in a treetop next to the Pfizer car park, as we travelled back to Thanet. All in all - not a bad way to spend a morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment