Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 28 July 2024

A proper bit of angling history

 It is purely due to the crazy events of 30th December 2023 that I now have regular contact with "Dick" Walker's son, Simon. Our initial contact was in relation to an exhibition, celebrating the life and achievements of "Hitchin's Angling Legend". Today, now having actually met, with much in common the exchange of emails remains. So it was a wonderful surprise to receive Simon's latest offering. Apparently he'd been sorting through some old, long forgotten, paperwork when he stumbled upon an envelope containing a page from the Daily Mirror, dated April 10th 1953. Way back then, as were all newspapers of the period, the format was in broadsheet, not today's tabloid scandal rag layout. .On this particular piece of newsprint was the results of the 1952/53 Daily Mirror angling completion, completely dominated by the impact that Richard Walker had made with the capture of "Clarissa". What, for me, makes it even more precious is that the actual piece is written by Bernard Venables, the one and only "Mr Crabtree". The accompanying image has been slightly tweaked, from the original photo sent by Simon, in the hope that visitors will be able to actually read the article and accompanying fish results directly from the picture. It will enlarge if you click on it.

I don't know how much this type of history will mean to the modern generation of Carp anglers yet, without Dick Walker and Bernard Venables, none of what has happened in the evolution of Carp fishing would have done so if not for these two huge, pioneering, characters, within the sport. They were at the forefront of modern angling thinking as they sought to demonstrate that catching bigger fish was a matter of application not just down to luck.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh Dylan! That was the days when Angling carried more kudos with Joe public, no woke crap on those days, great to see the piece by Bernard Venables, but I loved the Fish of the week prizes, and what really tickled me was the humble Gudgeon proudly on the list, they still bring a smile to my face when I catch one trotting unexpectedly on the rivers, they are a truly remarkable fish to gaze upon with amazing colouration.Enjoying your blogs and awaiting your next RMC trip update, any news on your flatlands tench efforts? I failed but did catch plenty of reasonable sized roach (up to a pound) and a few wrigglers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,
      Pleased that you enjoyed the piece. I honestly don't think that today's Carp crowd have any idea, or interest, in the history of the development of UK freshwater fishing? Gudgeon, alongside small Perch, Minnows and Bull-heads, were the mainstay of my early angling experience on the banks of The River Gade and The Grand Union Canal around Hemel Hempstead. They were, indeed, the good old days!
      As for my current angling? Bev's health is still a major issue, so angling is very much a secondary priority, hence the odd trip down to the RMC. Those flatlands Tench might just be a project that failed dismally. The effort required to get me and my kit out there is pushing my body way beyond sensible levels of endurance. I might revisit the area later in the year when the bankside vegetation has died back, somewhat, allowing easier access.
      Many thanks for the comment. Tight lines - Dylan

      Delete