Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 10 September 2023

Hedgehogs on a different level

First it was that bat sp. which enticed me into the garden, after dusk,  and subsequently the influx of Convolvulus Hawk-moths has had a similar effect. My camera skills have certainly been pushed beyond anything I'd previously attempted and I must add that if it were not for the wealth of advice and handy hints posted by experienced photographers on Youtube, I'd still be struggling. Well, a couple of nights ago, whilst awaiting the, non-appearance of, said Hawk-moths I watched a small Hedgehog do a lap of the wire netting that I use as a protective barrier for the moth trap. Obviously the Hedgehogs still get quite a few moths which end up on the lawn outside of this area, yet I am happy that the vast majority of moths attracted are drawn within the protected zone. By laying down on the lawn I was able to get in position to intercept it as it came snuffling into view. 

Obviously, as a first attempt, it wasn't brilliant yet it did set me thinking about further efforts which might be possible with a bit of pre-planning. Last night, having got the feeding dish and the water bowl in position I made sure that the light from the MV bulb would assist my cause and got out onto the lawn in anticipation of the arrival of the spiny, moth snaffling, hoard. I didn't have to wait long for the first customer and quickly grabbed the first image of the night. I have to state that these animals are so confident when in the garden that they have little concern about my presence, thus allow very close approach.

With the first opportunity taken, I laid down on the lawn some six feet away from the feeding station and awaited the next visitor. I could hear my neighbour, Chris, getting very excited about the England vs Argentina rugby match so know that it wasn't very late when the same individual as I'd photographed the previous evening arrived and set about devouring the Baker's Meaty Meals & Tesco Kitten Biscuits which I provide as food. Because it is a dry offering, just as with the garden birds, provision of water is also a vital part of the routine.  



I haven't seen a Convolvulus Hawk-moth around the Nicotiana plants for several evenings now, although have had two in the trap over this past couple of nights. Maybe the plants are getting past their peak attractiveness, or simply that the moths are no longer present in the numbers they had been previously. All the while the weather remains favourable I will continue to keep the camera kit handy in an attempt to record the after dark activity around our tiny sub-urban garden. Not always successful, yet certainly good fun trying out new camera techniques without any great effort involved.


2 comments:

  1. Dyl, my patch has acquired Hedgehogs more than a decade after I'd last seen any here. One adult which appeared in broad daylight (I'll send you a pic) and subsequently four tiny perfect specimens, all happily chomping dog biscuits and other treats, alongside the pack of Foxes (biggest count, eleven). I soak the biscuits/peanuts for a few hours first and scatter them about. That gives the animals hydration, space and reduces skirmishes. They all know each other anyway, and their place in the pecking order. Spreading the food on the ground isn't a problem as regards rats or mice. Those chaps don't stand a chance around my neck of the woods what with the Foxes plus cats and Tawny Owls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ric, I've just seen the photos - very impressive. A Hedgehog in daylight is generally thought to be in some form of trouble, although your one looks perfectly fine. Just like you, our garden went through a very lengthy period without any sightings of Hedgehogs only for me to get involved at the advent of the pandemic and discover that they were present in decent numbers despite me not seeing them.
      I've never seen more than two Foxes, at any one time, but they do get shot on a regular basis by the "Pest Control" goons, who legally lamp them during the hours of darkness. As for Tawny Owls? I only have one on my local patch list, which is now in it's twenty-third year, and to put into some context has more Woodlark, Red-backed Shrike, Black Kite and Lapland Bunting records.
      As always, cheers for the comment - Dyl

      Delete