Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 4 June 2020

The Flatlands are calling

I, like every other remotely intelligent member of the human race, realise that the current situation with Covid-19 is playing havoc with what we've always perceived as normality. That Fujifilm SIS and the Conservative government have managed to cobble together a system by which I will be paid well over £4 k, after tax, for going to work for fourteen days in two months, is mind blowing. What is even better is the fact that Fuji have put me on a rota which allows me three weeks free time from June 15th! Whilst membership of the syndicate is a great comfort, the wild carp of the East Kent marshes are what fire my imagination and keep me counting down the days until, once again, the mid-night chimes signal the commencement of another "new" chapter in my angling story. 


If nothing changes, but I'm sure it most certainly will, I plan to retire in December 2021. Should I be asked to make a decision? With no mortgage or debt to worry about then I should really leave the job opportunities to the younger guys who do have mortgages and kids to care for. Having said that, these are the same group who whinge about being asked to sweep the car park? Do they really deserve the job? Either which way, that's a discussion for another day and all I need focus on is ensuring that I've got everything in place for a mid-night start on the 15th. 


Realistically, the split cane thirty gig, will happen at the syndicate fisheries, yet the drains still have the potential to deliver on my promise. Under these present circumstances I am more than happy to be sat behind the rods and accept whatever the angling gods are willing to deliver. Three weeks is a long time,.Being able to react to the conditions and do short, three/four hour, sessions will suit me down to the ground. I've always believed that it is ability, over time, which defines a competent angler. There are a few other ideas spinning around in the mix which might well provide a distraction should the carp decide not to play ball. 

I'd love the chance to catch another 7 lbs+ tench

Tench, eels and bream, in that order, have me quite excited about the potential of the syndicate fisheries. Once June is out of the way, I am hoping to be able to return to just turning up for a, mid week, dawn/evening session without the need to pre-book.  Only time will tell.


2 comments:

  1. I.m no carp fan but those flatland wildies are simply handsome fish. have fun in the marsh tight lines Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil,
      Since that fateful day, in July 2015, I have been blessed to have caught some stunning wild carp from the East Kent marshes. They are not numerous, yet every one landed, irrespective of size, is a privilege and a joyous event. The real draw of this type of fishing is that it's me against the fish. Very rarely do I encounter other anglers and those I do are of a very similar mind-set to me. Quietly going about our business without being part of the carp fishing circus! Cheers for taking time to comment - all the best - Dylan

      Delete