Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 3 June 2020

New Blogger - take two

I'm now half way through my three weeks of work during the, initial "furlough" period that Fujifilm SIS have planned. Although we are certainly not busy, in the factory, there's been enough going on to avoid me getting sent home. That'll do for me! For the past two days I've been clearing up around the site perimeter, having commented on what a state the car park and solar panel areas looked. Discarded rubbish and general debris not showing the company in the best light. Under the current circumstances I was more than happy to undertake the clean up. It seems unbelievable to me, but some guys had refused to do this type of work, saying it was not "essential". What bloody planet do they inhabit? 
So for these couple of days I've certainly been the best paid litter picker/car park sweeper on Thanet, if not Kent? With the Pyson's Road gull colony in full breeding mode, it was always going to be the case that I would be alerted to any passing raptors. One Common Buzzard, and a couple of occurrences which I failed to see what the cause was, yet generally rather quiet. I have discovered a Pied Wagtail nest site, within some pallets, but not much else on the birding front. Having read the reports from Sandwich Bay Obs, telling of huge numbers of Red Kites moving northwards, I'm at a loss to understand why I haven't seen any whilst working outside? Maybe a case of head down, arse up? Gulls certainly aren't bothered by overflying Red Kites in the same way they are about Buzzards and even Grey Herons.


Our feeding station remains a major draw for the local birdlife, although species now featuring are all very predictable. Starlings appear to be have an exceptional breeding season and it's not unusual to have in excess of forty birds in, and around, the garden. The vast majority being newly fledged juvvies! Feeding soaked mealworms certainly causes a surge in activity, whilst they last, as Starlings, House Sparrows, Magpies and a pair of Jackdaws seek to grab their share of these highly nutritious food items. I also scatter a few around the lawn to allow the Blackbirds a chance to enjoy the feast. Hedgehogs continue to come to the food provided, on a nightly basis, although what they don't eat is quickly cleaned up by our local Herring Gulls. The individual fitted with a BTO ring is a regular early morning scavenger and I have, so far, managed to read G11 as the start of the code. It's a work in progress.
Fishing remains a very scarce option, what with having to book in advance with the syndicate bailiff, but June 16th isn't too far away and the flatlands are, once again, calling.
So this is my first post for June and, touch wood, it would seem that my issues with Google's new version are starting to be conquered. I won't start boasting too soon, cos I know something will occur that bites me on the arse! Watch this space.


3 comments:

  1. I wonder how many of those young starlings, thrushes, etc, are going to fall by the wayside to to being unable to get food out of rock hard, bone dry ground. Even the hedgehogs must be struggling with seemingly few slugs and worms about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An interesting point and I do wonder if my provision of soaked mealworms might assist the local birds through this challenging period of prolonged drought? I also provide drinking/bathing water which, again, might be very beneficial.
      The hedgehogs are fed with a mixture of dry biscuits and semi-moist pellets, again drinking water is provided in an adjacent bowl. I realise my garden visitors are just a drop in the ocean, but at least I'm doing something to help and that's got to be better than nothing!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure that your efforts on both accounts are of great help to the wildlife concerned, well done.

    ReplyDelete