Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 16 July 2018

Surprise encounter

I was walking off the Levels, down a lonely farm track, when my attention was grabbed by a small creature bounding along the path in front of me. My initial reaction was "what's a bloody squirrel doing out here?" but, raising my binoculars allowed me to get a proper id, it was a Stoat. How wrong could I be with a gut feel? Camera immediately pressed into action, light was always against my position and the resultant images are heavily adjusted, via the wonders of modern digital technology.




Not a creature that I see with any regularity, so it was an absolute privilege to watch this individual actively hunting the trackside vegetation. I assumed rodents would be the chosen prey, yet the behaviour suggested that large insects were also on the menu.

2 comments:

  1. I was driving along a road on Sheppey last week when a rat shot across the road in front of me, from one side to the other. To my surprise it was being pursued at top speed by a stoat. A brief but amusing sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope that the Stoat was successful in its' pursuit. Good to hear from you - take care - Dyl

      Delete